Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Running the Vista X Discrimination at the Pre-Set

Richard@BackwoodsDetectors

Findmall Sponsor
I have hunted this old house many times and used almost every detector out there. I did well with the Vista X and the discrimination at 30. I decided to back it off to the pre-set and see what I would find. As you can see, there were targets that I left behind. A couple of them were surprising. A number of flat buttons, overall buttons, the campaign fob from the 1904 presidental race. It seems to do exceptionally well in the area of brass and copper with the pre-set.

Attachments

• P6170008.JPG
    P6170008.JPG
    110.3 KB · Views: 212
  • P6170012.JPG
    P6170012.JPG
    105.4 KB · Views: 209
  • P6170009.JPG
    P6170009.JPG
    78.8 KB · Views: 193
  • P6170013.JPG
    P6170013.JPG
    124.6 KB · Views: 201
  • HK-460-rev-34mm-400x400 (1).jpg
    HK-460-rev-34mm-400x400 (1).jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 183
  • HK-460-obv-34mm-400x400.jpg
    HK-460-obv-34mm-400x400.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 218
Wow Richard that is great to know. It is a very strong detector for sure. Thanks for the information.

Nice Digs Jim!
The Vista X is impressive detector..
Anyone thats enjoys a single tone detector would really like the 2 tone Vista X.
Not sure what coil setup You were using but the mid size 8x6 coil is great around those old home sites..stay safe. joe

You done well with the X. I would have liked to have seen all the rubbish you dug up with the disc set at pre-set or were you checking the targets with alternative disc.

Great finds, Richard! It's surprising that high conductors like those copper items didn't give good signals with the disc set to 30. Do you think it's because they were deep, or does the machine just recover faster from nearby trash if the disc is at 20?

-Ken

I think there are a couple of factors.. Yes, one is depth but the other is a very aggressive discrimination circuit. Here is what I have out in my circumstances.
a nickle on top of the ground will discriminate out, say at 35
you can not expect to find nickles deeper than 4-5" unless you turn the disc. back by 5 or so. I was hunting with my nephew who was using an Equinox who ran into the same thing.
He was in the coin range on the discriminate and got some good fines but I went behind him, with considerably less discrimination, and got 4 silvers... That is why I use as little disc as possible.
Thanks Richard