Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Sadly...not that impressed!!

Prep1957 said:
I not sure what Wilson you guys are talking about.I bought one many years ago with a funny bump on the coil and narrow silver control box that was suppose to see through junk.The only junk was the detector itself would not even go 5 inches I used it about a week sent it back to Kellyco got something better.[/quote

Sounds like an old Wilson-Neuman Daytona...
Wow, Prep...that ancient model was from the mid '70s...you've been at this a while, I take it?

:)
mike

It took me a VERY long time to get a handle on it.. Several hundred in fact.. And I was playing with various settings.. What i should have done is take the time to learn the nuances of the machine before I messed around with the settings.

That being said, I stuck with it, and now you could not get a better machine for my areas than the Deus...I am working several drowned towns and a good many ghosties.. and it performs like no other.. When i get to my areas, the first thing I look for is nail beds... and then I head directly for them. It is amazing in those places.

I have a buddy who comes with me and he has an etrac... much of the time he is unable to even hear the targets I am hearing. It may be the way he is using the machine {for as we all know, the etac is a fine unit}, but I get more depth and better separation than he does. And not just on surface targets.

I am hearing .22 cases at 6 inches in a nail bed.. Not that I want to dig a .22...... but it is a good example of what the machine is capable of.

Sunny skies

Micheal

Mikie said:
It took me a VERY long time to get a handle on it.. Several hundred in fact.. And I was playing with various settings.. What i should have done is take the time to learn the nuances of the machine before I messed around with the settings.

That being said, I stuck with it, and now you could not get a better machine for my areas than the Deus...I am working several drowned towns and a good many ghosties.. and it performs like no other.. When i get to my areas, the first thing I look for is nail beds... and then I head directly for them. It is amazing in those places.

I have a buddy who comes with me and he has an etrac... much of the time he is unable to even hear the targets I am hearing. It may be the way he is using the machine {for as we all know, the etac is a fine unit}, but I get more depth and better separation than he does. And not just on surface targets.

I am hearing .22 cases at 6 inches in a nail bed.. Not that I want to dig a .22...... but it is a good example of what the machine is capable of.

Sunny skies

Micheal

Comparing machines over an un-dug target is the only way to really compare machines and their capabilities. However, you didn't mention if your friend does the same thing and have you check signals he finds to see if you would dig that signal? I hunt many many times with Deus and ETrac users and I have never once (other than depth) not been able to get the same signal they got that I would also dig using my Wilson RC ll or my Fisher 1265X.

For sure the Deus has some amazing features that no other detector has ever been made with up until now. But does this also mean it finds targets better than anything else that has been made up to today?....I haven't seen it. I swing my coil slower than anyone I have ever hunted with. I have gone over areas that that have been hit by ETrac, CTX and Deus and pulled good finds out using my 25 to 30 year old detectors.

Most people switch machines, but they never change detecting styles. Your style of detecting may be better with one make and model than another. But, changing your detecting style without changing detectors may do as much for improving your finds as changing machines. This has been my experience. I find that most people swing their coil way too fast and move ahead way too fast and are missing good finds.

Arthur,

From your posts, it sounds like you've already made up your mind about the Deus. You have a number of years on "ol' faithful" and it has / does serve you well. I have a friend of mine that I sold a Compass Magnum to in the 1980's and he still uses that same detector and makes some great finds. I have shown him other detectors over the years and while he liked them for various reasons, they never clicked like his Compass did and as a result, he stayed with what he knows and what works.

If there was one detector that did it all and did it better than everything else, there would be one company making detectors . . . and since there are multiple companies with multiple models, that says something.

Look at pickup trucks . . . want to get into a debate? Tell a Chevy owner that your Ford is better than his and see what happens. There are plenty of 25 year old pickups out there still getting teh job done so is a 2016 model required . . . probably not for everyone.

I've watched this thread from the sideline with some interest as from the start, you have stressed how poorly the Deus does compared to your 25 year old detector. I still have detectors from the 1980's that will hold their own in the field but I also know that the technology found on the new models is light years ahead of what was available in the 1980's. The ability of the Deus (and some other top units) to pull targets from among trash, at depths that some might call fish stories and do it with less weight and better balance makes all the difference to those wiling to learn the unit.

As Micheal and others have replied to your original post have saids, it takes time and if you have a detector you have used for decades as you have, relearning techniques and understanding what you are changing takes longer than someone that has never swung a detector. I sold a guy a Deus a month or so that had never used a detector and at the club meeting last night had coins and other finds that made even the guys that had been hunting for 30+ years take notice.

If the Deus is not for you, then it is not for you. Many people that had been hunting for years have tried Minelab's and never were able to make teh leap . . . going back to what they were comfortable with. The Deus is an amazing tool that offers upgradability that other detectors can't offer, wireless capabilities, lightning fast recovery and great detection depth . . . but to get the most out of it you need to understand the unit and why you adjust certain settings.- making adjustments without that will always result in frustration with ANY detector.

Attitude often plays a role and if you are frustrated and feel that your WIlson R/C does a better job in your area and for your type of hunting, then the WIlson will always come out on top for you.

We should be out there enjoying the time we have available to hunt and getting frustrated or being disappointed in the performance of our detector selection is counter-productive.

Just a few thoughts on this thread . . . .

Andy Sabisch
XP Deus Forum Moderator

Far from it.... If you are happy with your Wilson and your Fisher, far be it for me to advocate a change.. I still have my old Excalibur sword.. and no one will convince me that tere is a better machine in the water... Even my excal 11 cannot compete to it.

The Deus, in my hunting conditions, is the best machine I have used. There may be others close to, or possibly equal, to it. But none that I have seen that can beat it.

When I decided to get the Deus, it was basically a toss up between it and the 3030... and in the end, the Deus won out due to a number of factors.. weight [or lack thereof], the ability to custom design your own programs for your hunting conditions, etc.

But that is me.. If you like your present machine, please stay with it.

And one last point.. where I hunt, I know, for certain, that even my old sword would not be able to handle the carpets of nails.

Calm seas

Micheal

To me the Deus is like a combination lock!! you can try all the numbers you want in it and never get it to open up for you. I have tried about every combination i can think of! i have found stuff and about got it to what i think works... but all i keep finding is shot gun shells. just got to keep after it and get it over some relics if there is any left.. If not for sites like this im not sure i would have got this far with it.

Andy Sabisch said:
Arthur,

From your posts, it sounds like you've already made up your mind about the Deus. You have a number of years on "ol' faithful" and it has / does serve you well. I have a friend of mine that I sold a Compass Magnum to in the 1980's and he still uses that same detector and makes some great finds. I have shown him other detectors over the years and while he liked them for various reasons, they never clicked like his Compass did and as a result, he stayed with what he knows and what works.

If there was one detector that did it all and did it better than everything else, there would be one company making detectors . . . and since there are multiple companies with multiple models, that says something.

Look at pickup trucks . . . want to get into a debate? Tell a Chevy owner that your Ford is better than his and see what happens. There are plenty of 25 year old pickups out there still getting teh job done so is a 2016 model required . . . probably not for everyone.

I've watched this thread from the sideline with some interest as from the start, you have stressed how poorly the Deus does compared to your 25 year old detector. I still have detectors from the 1980's that will hold their own in the field but I also know that the technology found on the new models is light years ahead of what was available in the 1980's. The ability of the Deus (and some other top units) to pull targets from among trash, at depths that some might call fish stories and do it with less weight and better balance makes all the difference to those wiling to learn the unit.

As Micheal and others have replied to your original post have saids, it takes time and if you have a detector you have used for decades as you have, relearning techniques and understanding what you are changing takes longer than someone that has never swung a detector. I sold a guy a Deus a month or so that had never used a detector and at the club meeting last night had coins and other finds that made even the guys that had been hunting for 30+ years take notice.

If the Deus is not for you, then it is not for you. Many people that had been hunting for years have tried Minelab's and never were able to make teh leap . . . going back to what they were comfortable with. The Deus is an amazing tool that offers upgradability that other detectors can't offer, wireless capabilities, lightning fast recovery and great detection depth . . . but to get the most out of it you need to understand the unit and why you adjust certain settings.- making adjustments without that will always result in frustration with ANY detector.

Attitude often plays a role and if you are frustrated and feel that your WIlson R/C does a better job in your area and for your type of hunting, then the WIlson will always come out on top for you.

We should be out there enjoying the time we have available to hunt and getting frustrated or being disappointed in the performance of our detector selection is counter-productive.

Just a few thoughts on this thread . . . .

Andy Sabisch
XP Deus Forum Moderator

Thanks Andy for your input. I have followed your advise on metal detecting for many years and found it very informative and helpful. But just for the record, I am not a sales person for Wilson or Fisher metal detectors...now or ever. Thank you for admitting that you are a salesman for Deus metal detectors.

Arthur

I use what works for me and what has been proven to work for others. My wife runs a detector shop and I provide technical assistance but that is not my job nor has it ever been. The point I was trying to make is that if the Deus is not the detector for you then simply move on and use what is the right one which is simply the one that you enjoy using and that finds the stuff you want to find.

For some that might be a $250 detector while others have to get the latest and greatest as soon as it comes out. I test a lot of units but use very few when I head out for the sake of hunting. The Deus and Minelab units work for me but they are not for everyone hence other makes and models.

Not sure what the undercurrent comment was in your post but selling a Deus was not the intent . . . . simply saying you seem to be set on other detectors you know far better performing better and if that is the case, stick with what works

Andy Sabisch

Andy,

No offence intended. I'm just making the point that I have no reason to defend any make or model of detector for any financial gain on my part. My only interest is to give an opinion of the Deus from my experience and any rebuttals of my opinion should be fair, reasoned and absent of any agenda. That is why I thanked you for admitting you have an interest in the sales of Deus' which may be construed as a bit of conflict of interest on commenting on the Deus. I don't believe that but that's because I have read much of your opinions for the past 30 years, but someone who hasn't at least has that information to base their opinion on what you have to say about the machine.

I got convinced to buy a Deus when I saw what it could do in some instances that I could not duplicate with my equipment. Unfortunately, in my case it has not continued to wow me on my subsequent tests with the unit when compared to my existing machines. That's all.

That applies to pretty much everything in life.. detectors, cars, etc.. I have a 72 Bronco.. love it!! And in that case, older is better,; in my mind anyway.

But in my situation when detecting, the Deus is marvelous. None of the other machines I have used seem to be able to handle the conditions.

Good luck to you Arthur.

Calm seas

Micheal

CO_T\Huntr said:
Scott Clark has spent some time putting together his Relic program
and you might give it a go.... http://www.detecting.us/referencelibrary/xp-relic-2/
None of the stock programs are good for depth and were designed for
the UK crowd... the new update addresses this and should improve things
for users in the US
I use a variation of Scott's program and hit those dimes at around 12"
which is my test protocol when I get on new sites...
I prefer the lower frequencies and stay away from 18k and I've had
great success all over CO and now in FL I even spent a month in AZ prospecting
and the Deus performed very well.
My passion is relic hunting and at the Battle of Carthage Site in MO
I hit a pounded site and still came away with my first CW finds...

So if l read this correctly we have nothing in the UK deeper than say 8" ?
With over 2000 years of history l beg to differ.
The original post commented on the lack of depth, and l agree totally, my new Deus came and for 3 days l pounded the same site and went home dissapointed every time. On the morning of the fourth l took the Explorer, l was digging targets between my own footprints from previous sessions.
The Deus has to be set up correctly and am now confident with it. It's not so much site specific, more condition specific. Get it wrong and like most machines, you will miss stuff.

Maybe the set-up on the factory programs is optimized for your soils
over there in the UK but in a lot of testing here in the US they,
the stock programs, won't get past around 8" for whatever reason
but with just a little tweaking it will easily get past 10" on our small
dime coins, which I use for my testing...
I know you guys have some of the oldest and deepest stuff around.... there's no doubt
and I am more than a bit envious but I know this machine pretty well
on our soils searching out our somewhat infantile coinage...

Like I was hoping, my friend John from Tennessee has been up to visit me for the past three days for some marathon detecting...until 4 am last night! He has written me two kick-ass programs for my Deus and sure enough, the beast has busted out of its cage!!! I'm just learning the ropes, but after years of using a Sovereign and all the crazy sounds that thing makes, its not hard to get use to the full tones of the Deus. I dug two silver coins tonight that sounded nice even though they were 7" or 8" down. On my test garden it gets all targets easily accept the quarter with three nails on it.

It's going to be hard to put this detector down now for a while. Seeing as I snapped the stem on my Fisher just above the coil when I accidentally kneeled on it yesterday, I have more reason to use the Deus now and learn it!

Yes, I would be interested in them too

Arthur-Canada said:
sure enough, the beast has busted out of its cage!!!

Glad to see it's starting to click for you. It's just a matter of getting the right settings for what, how and where you hunt. The Deus is as deep as any other machine (coil sizes being equal of course) when set up correctly.

Happy hunting !

I actually wrote a program for my Deus that emulates my Fisher 1265 and Wilson R&C ll, just for shits and giggles! Was using those programs yesterday and found these.