Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Safari Disappointing air test results

bigolhorns

Results of my Safari air test. Disappointing to say the least. This can't be right. Silver dollars have lower ID than a zinc penny???????????? Copper penny registers in the silver range and a silver dollar is in the copper range. The silver Dollar has a lower tone than a zinc penny!!!!!!!!!! Any thoughts? Guess this one gotta go back to Minelab.
1926 Silver Dollar 34
1923 Silver Dollar 34
2007 zinc penny 35
1971 Clad Dollar 36
1959 Half Dollar 37
1960 Half Dollar 37
1964 Quarter 38
1920 Half Dollar 38
1973 Penny 38
1897 Dime 38

I'm thinking size might play a factor in the registered value of your silver dollar. I did an air test with a US silver half dime and the value came in at 34, so did a Canadian silver half dime. But both US and Canadian silver dimes came in as expected...38. So I don't think anything is wrong with your detector.

Also keep in mind that in the ground you cannot always rely upon the values on your screen. This is why you must use ferrous tones and learn to dig silver by sound.

Ray

I only have about 15 hours or so on my Safari, and am also struggling a bit with the target ID numbers. I don't understand why the designers made clad dimes come in at the same numbers as clad quarters, which hasn't happened on any other detector I have used. Also copper pennies come in at 38 and 39 way too often, resulting in digging more pennies. If your silver dollar readings are correct at 34, I sure won't be finding any because I have 34 & 35 notched out to skip zincs.

Having said that, I really am liking the Safari. I love how easy it is to create, save and use custom discrimination programs. After swinging the F-75 for over two years, the Safari is noticeably heavier and has to be swung slower, but it sure runs quietly. There is one part of a field where the EMI is so strong that the F-75 is too chatty to use, but the Safari runs smoothly there. It also seems to really pick out the good targets surrounded by trash. I am thinking about getting the 15" WOT coil to cover more ground for parks, sports fields and the beach. Has anyone tried one with the Safari yet?

Anyway, give it a fair shake in the field and I think you'll see that it can pick out the good targets.

Bart

No air test on FBS machine digg your coins to the ground and keep them there 1 year, then test. And dont forget to noise cancel. Allways use manual sens. somewhere between 15-18. It goes twice as deep compared to auto sens.
Pro coil on Safari is a best coil ever. Sometimes i use 12x15SEF to go deeper.

I think Minelab has some work to do on the ID numbers as I see so much variation on different posts. Perhaps soon they will come out with a tune up for the Safari. Afte all is is a new machine and may have bugs. Mine shows 37 on everything from zink pennies to quarters. Silver dollars from 34 to 36. Quarters sometimes 38, sometimes 37. Gold 23 gto 25. Nickels 15 as is pulltabs. Aluminum lawn mower slaw and wine bottle screw on lids 36 to 37. Buried aluminum cans 34 (that helps some). Copper and brass, low 30s. Those figures is the usual, but sometimes it varies especially if the bottle caps or pulltabs are bent just right, or the aluiminum can slaw is really bent up and thick, then they will show up as a 37 or 38. The icons telling what it might be are totally useless. Onus.

I will back up a suggestion here above : dig by ferrous tones.

In Europe, our well-wanted 2 euro coin reads 24 in clean condition, 26, 28 or 29 when dirty.

Plus the Safari si preset in Hign trash mode (the Quattro is preset in low trash), the Hign trash mode giving a much less accurate reading of targets.

Fine detectors.

HH

bigolhorns said:
Results of my Safari air test. Disappointing to say the least. This can't be right. Silver dollars have lower ID than a zinc penny???????????? Copper penny registers in the silver range and a silver dollar is in the copper range. The silver Dollar has a lower tone than a zinc penny!!!!!!!!!! Any thoughts? Guess this one gotta go back to Minelab.
1926 Silver Dollar 34
1923 Silver Dollar 34
2007 zinc penny 35
1971 Clad Dollar 36
1959 Half Dollar 37
1960 Half Dollar 37
1964 Quarter 38
1920 Half Dollar 38
1973 Penny 38
1897 Dime 38
Could it be set up in ferrous mode?

Just kidding around with the "use the force line". All kidding aside visuals are definately not always reliable. I can usually depend on the various pitches in tone and then comparing it with the VID. Kind of what I meant with the "use the force thing". Ron

Jack Flynn said:
bigolhorns said:
1926 Silver Dollar 34
1923 Silver Dollar 34
2007 zinc penny 35
1971 Clad Dollar 36
1959 Half Dollar 37
1960 Half Dollar 37
1964 Quarter 38
1920 Half Dollar 38
1973 Penny 38
1897 Dime 38
Could it be set up in ferrous mode?

Doesn't matter conductive or ferrous results are the same.I just tested it again,like I said "Disappointing". I have $200.00 machines that do better! No way should a silver dollar come in lower than any coin I have tested!!!! Seems like lots of people are having issues with the Safari and target ID.