Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Safari, E-trac or CTX 3030?

StephenA

Its time to buy a new detector. I heve owned two Explorers in the past and sold them to move on to the latest and greatests (sometimes lighter) detectors. I am not a computer guru but really do want the extra depth you get with a minicab. Weight is an issue but I know the FBS is hard to beat over all. Lets say money is no matter but being technologically challenged is, which detector would you buy and what advice would you offer me? I have read all the forums and detector brands and will buy on of these three this weekend.
Thank you all!
Steve

CTX with a harness. Since money isn't a concern and weight is.

Depends on what your budget is.

CTX <- first choice
E-Trac <- second choice
Safari <- third choice

They are all great detectors but my experience has been the CTX is better than the E-Trac and the E-Trac is better than the Safari.

Thank you. I think that is the general consensus. I am mainly concerned with the learning curve AND the weight/ balance. .

StephenA, I know what you mean by the learning curve thing. It's a great Machine from all the reviews i have seen and read. A++

I've never understood the "learning cure" comment unless they're are simple referring to learning the sounds and or VDI numbers. That has to be done on any detector. I've owned many of the detectors people say have a learning curve, and the only learning curve I've seen is when you start messing with settings. Which shouldn't be done until you have first gotten acquainted with the basic detector first. All the ones I've tried have a begging simple mode where you basically turn it on and start swinging.

Anyway, Yes the CTX can have quite a learning curve, as all full featured detector have, when you want to learn what all the adjustments do. Of course the more adjustable the bigger the learning cure. Makes sense really. Now the FBS's (E-Trac & CTX) don't have your typical simple target segments that are labeled Iron, Foil, Nickle, Penny, Dime etc. but do take some learning to know what tones/VDI is good and bad but its really simply associating a sound & or VDI number to the same thing. But I wouldn't call it a learning curve unless you want to call having to learn where the front door of a business is a "Learning Curve" LOL.

My buddy has the CTX and I have the Etrac. When he bought the CTX , he sold his Etrac. Now he is selling his CTX to go back to the Etrac. Long story short, if your not going to do water hunting then the Etrac is as deep as the CTX 3030. Every hit he got with the CTX my Etrac hit on. But it's your call. Save your self some money. I myself wouldn't bring a CTX in the water with all the problems they have leaking . If you get the Etrac there are many , many coils out there for it. The CTX , you are limited to coils. Plus the X-1 is a great pinpointer . The CTX you can't use one . GS

I think the learning curve is a reference to someone that is new to FBS. Since all of your choices are FBS, your only extra time will be learning the nuances of whichever machine you choose (ie, very little time to get effectively hunting). My first FBS was the Safari and I had read everyone on the net say that it takes 40-60 hours to wrap your mind around it and become good with it. Well, I considered myself intelligent and experienced at that point + had the musical background that folks said would help (guitar/organ in garage band thru college) and arrogantly thought itll take me maybe 10 at most. Got the Safari, hunted with it and quickly got decent with it. Finding as much as anyone. But at about 50 hours, something went clik in my brain and my finds shot up and my trash shot waaaaay down. I remember the exact moment it happened too. weird. The only thing I can tell you to shorten that FBS learning curve is TRUST YOUR MACHINE. When I started trusting my Safari is when it happened for me.

I have read that the CTX is better balanced than the eTrac, but i have no personal experience. Hopefully someone more knowledgeable will chime in on this.

Again, since you said money isn't a problem, get the CTX. Heres another recent thread on the CTX forum where I suggest having your dealer preload his proven programs before he ships it: http://www.findmall.com/read.php?86,2256269,2256299#msg-2256299 . That should ease your 'technically challenged' comment.

I will be receiving my CTX on Tuesday. I really appreciate the feedback. Now to sell a few of my old detectors. Good Hunting and than you again!

I used Safari and move to now E-Trac. Safari and E-Trac are good for deep coins but you dig more pull tabs on Safari. E-Trac help me to know if nickel, junk or pull tabs in the ground. In the woods that you dig all then Safari is no problem. High trash park then E-Trac is better for reduce digging!