Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Safari explanation

edjcox

Your coil is an antenna... The antenna emanates a signal in one of several selected bands as determined when you noise cancel. When running the noise cancel routine your antenna (coil) needs to be in the same position you plan to use it in (about an inch of the ground). During the noise cancel routine your machine runs each of it FBS frquencies and listens to the expected recieve frequencies and reciever logic decides if that is noisy or clear. It then either accepts or rejects that channel and moves onto the next.

A Coil held in the air will pick up more signals than one noise cancelled near the ground. Therefore noise cancelling as you use the machine will select the right frequencies and holding it in the air will not. Place and transistor radio on the ground and listen to a weak signal. Then lift it off the ground and you will note the signal strength is higher. Your doing the same thing to a safari. By trying to noise cancel up high your really not noise canceling at all as the grounds interference is further away by the coils elevation.

The noise cancel process in a safari is really a frequency selection process done by determining which FBS frequencies are noise free for the machine to work with most effectively. The enviornment, the soil, its conductiivity, EMI (electro magnetic interference), nearby power lines (overhead or suberanean), radio stations and their harmonics, all impact and come into play when noise cancelling. Luckily all you need to do is press the button at the hunts beginning and you'll be all set. Running it again if conditions change (soil, soil moisture content, proximity to power lines, radio's, transmitters, etc.)

A safari that's noise cancelled by holding it's antenna up in the air will undoubtedly detect and select the FBS channels not interfered with by the strongest signal around. That may not be what you want to run the machine under..

PS Noise cancel over clean ground free of targets....

I wrote this in response to a post about noise cancelling up in the air ... It is my opinion and as you know we all have one..:starwars:

Well said! :clapping:
Bunker

Hi Ed... That was a good article you wrote on noise cancelling, I also read it on another thread earlier. Typically I let the coin on the ground but you raise a good point, about an inch off the ground and I understand your reason why. At the end of you article you said;

edjcox said:
PS Noise cancel over clean ground free of targets....

Here is a question for you; last week I was hunting an old school, it was the first time I'd been there. I ground balanced my normal way but honestly, I couldn't find any clean ground, everywhere I hunted anywhere near the school building I got a constant null. So, my question is a duel question, (1) how would you proceed with ground balance under this condition and (2) what would you recommend doing about the constant null? The only way I could stop a null is to stop moving the coil but then I'd get a signal, move it another inch and it would null again. Let me say the grounds around the school were still well kept - by that I mean they mow the grass and use part of the grounds for little league soft ball games.

Don

I'm not "ED" and far from an expert, but according to Andy's book try cutting back on your sensitivity when G.B. in such an area. Although even if not doing so and if your Safari seems to be stable after G.B, you should be good to go. To reduce the amount of nulling you are receiving, you will either have to start rejecting fewer targets or else reduce the amount of your sensitivity or switch over to the auto mode which will accomplish the same thing. To eliminate almost all nulling you will have to hunt in the all-metal mode, but at the expense of both slowing down your swing and using more overlap.

Interesting school grounds if your fnding that much in the soil. Should be fun to search.... If your in an area where soils do not vary wildly, where moisture is fairly consistent then using the noise
in an area simliar to the grounds would work just fine. Just not to far away..

Andy Sabitch's book goes through this better than I can. Suffice it to say that the Safari's circuitry is pretty decent and depending on the mode your using nulling means the target discovered doesn't meet the settings parameters for a legitimate target. There's simply to many variables to answer your question well. What mode where you using, what was your sensitivity set at, etc...
Sometimes these school grounds are hashed up with schredded aluminum cans and pull tabs from hundreds of games and lawn mowings. Nullling out the trash is Safari's strength in some areas, but all metal mode is yur best freind in others...

Sorry but I suggest the book.