Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Safari not picking up gold

The safari is not famous for finding small gold like ear rings and chains.
Set disc low No higher than where foil and small iron is knocked out...Or better still, us zero disc and dig all signals. Set sensitivity as high as you can get it while still maintaining reasonable stability.
Small gold appears in the same disc range as foil and small iron.
If you want to find gold ear rings and small gold and sil chains then hunt in All Metal and dig it all.

The above poster got it just about right.If you are really interested in the tiny stuff though a minelab won't cut it i'm afraid.
Like Fishers Ghost said,run it in all metal and dig everything is your best chance of picking up the smaller stuff.The safari is a great all round detector and will find rings and bigger jewellry down to good depths,even on wet salt sand,but tiny stuff will cause it a problem.

Like the Xcal, the MLs with pick up a piece of gold about .3 grams. Small earrings..... especially those open ones is much like finding a broken ring as well and adds to the difficulty of finding it with these machines. Every machine has its down side...... but ML machines as an over all machines are about as good as it gets. I accept im going to miss some gold but covering more beach, with good depth, and the ability to hit the wet sand is worth it. Besides ..... .3 grams equals what about $10 or less? As far as chains...... on a salt water beach.... you better be one lucky dude no matter what machine you are using.

Dew

My primary detector is a Safari and I agree with the above comments but I have a question that someone might have the answer to? With an F.B.S. detector (1Khz-100Khz range) in theory it should hit on all metals including small gold articles which generally register in the higher Khz range (other than fine gold chains with the anomaly of the detector reading each tiny link separately etc;.) I still wonder about this. Any thoughts?

I don't know how this works scientifically but I think it goes to prove that having 100 khz does nothing at all for the performance of the minelabs on tiny jewellry.Minelabs multi frequency technology has been questioned many times as far as how many frequencies it actually puts into the ground at once......maybe the higher frequencies are not used at all?
This is a very interesting question and one minelab should answer as they are always stating that their multi frequency technology finds a greater variety of targets.

Well now you have hit on a question that has bothered me for quite a while since I purchased my Sov XS many moons ago.
My Gold Bug is 19khz, LST 17khz, and Sov Xs from 1.5khz up to 27khz BBS. The Bug and LST hit hard on small gold and sil chains and brocken rings and earings but the SOV is very weak, similar to any normal single frequency 8khz to 15khz VLF/TR
I know that the input amps of the bug and the tesoro are set to a very high sensitivity but that cannot be the whole answer.
The sensitivity of the Bug and LST can be set very low and the detectors still ping on the small stuff, although a tad weakly. It can also depend on whether the sensitivity is controlled at the the input end or the output end of the cct.
My old Gold Seeker 15000 (8khz) is about the same sens as my Sov on small gold chain which is not all that flash. I have found many sil chains with the Sov but only one gold chain that weighed 7g and the signal was very iffy and it was on second thoughts that I dug the signal.
My Gold Bug, LST and also my Spectrum XLT have all found gold chains. One signal from the Spectrum (with 9 inch concentric) was firm hit on a 2.9g curb link 18K gold chain at approx 5 inches in sand....My Sov, Infinium and SS cannot see that chain.

These are harmonics not really freqs..... the machine doesnt really operate on all those so called freqs at once. I believe its working on the 3 best...... and one being used for GB. My understanding is combining the other two freqs gives you an operating freq of around 3kHz. Obviously great for dealing with mineralization.......but most dual freqs wont operate as well as a single freq machine designed to a specific task.... like gold hunting. These arent designed to be micro gold hunters..... but to handle mineralization. Even the channels very the freqs very little.... but can change how the machine operates in say wet salt sand. They will find gold...... but any machine will struggle in say a city park with heavy trash and high mineralization. Even on a beach........ there are 100 targets to every 1 good target in the dry sand, at the waters edge that may change to 50 to 1 and in the water 25 to 1. There are trade offs...... tiny gold is that trade off for dual or multi freq machine operations.

Dew