Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Safari or Etrac

mike5853

So I have some money saved but not sure if spending another $500 on an Etrac will really get me anymore than buying a Safari. Any thoughts or feedback is appreciated.

I agree. Often you can get a used CTX with extras for about $1500. If you go with the Safari, you can get it used for $600 to $700 and an AT Pro for $450 to $500 . Then you would have two, very different detectors and a little cash for accessories.

Mike, I didn't mean to sound so flippant above. Everyone has his own financial comfort level and to me if you are in Etrac territory, its worth it to save a bit more and go for top of the line. I don't in any way mean to diss the Safari- I love mine, but when I go from my CTX to my Safari, I feel undergunned. (the reason I even go back to the Safari is its ability to more easily separate silver from other good targets (note that this may just be my lack of ability with the CTX).

I chose the Safari when I wasn't sure how much I would devote to this hobby and while I wanted a FBS machine, I didn't want to go whole hog until I was sure what modern machines were all about (my last machine was a Whites Coinmaster, 80s vintage). Safari convinced me to get a CTX. (and paid for itself on inland-only sites in a year)

When people ask me what machine should they get, I usually have 3 machines I recommend, based on available funds:
- the CTX (best all around imo) (note: you can swing it much faster than a Safari)
- an ATPro as a mid priced detector or beginner machine if s/he has lots of disposable cash (great all weather machine for the money)
- Garrett Ace 350 w'DD for a beginner that doesn't want too much financial commitment.
(Excal for underwater/wet beach of course but anyone who is that serious already knows about the Excal)

I appreciate all the honest feed back. I thought I'd be priced out with the CTX but maybe a used one might do the trick. Thanks

There's about a $300-$400 used price difference between The two, The Etrac has a Back-light & Adjustable Tones & will do Better in Iron infested sites.

On The Con side of The Table, The Etrac weights almost 1 pound more than The Safari, I owned both, I never saw any Depth advantage. So I Sold The Etrac and bought another Safari.

All I hunt are The Sports fields / Tot Lots /Salt water Beach's, looking for lost Jewelry. good luck & HH

That's pretty much the places I hunt. Thanks for the feedback.

Rob in (Ca) said:
There's about a $300-$400 used price difference between The two, The Etrac has a Back-light & Adjustable Tones & will do Better in Iron infested sites.

On The Con side of The Table, The Etrac weights almost 1 pound more than The Safari, I owned both, I never saw any Depth advantage. So I Sold The Etrac and bought another Safari.

All I hunt are The Sports fields / Tot Lots /Salt water Beach's, looking for lost Jewelry. good luck & HH

KinTN said:
Mike, I didn't mean to sound so flippant above. Everyone has his own financial comfort level and to me if you are in Etrac territory, its worth it to save a bit more and go for top of the line. I don't in any way mean to diss the Safari- I love mine, but when I go from my CTX to my Safari, I feel undergunned. (the reason I even go back to the Safari is its ability to more easily separate silver from other good targets (note that this may just be my lack of ability with the CTX).

I chose the Safari when I wasn't sure how much I would devote to this hobby and while I wanted a FBS machine, I didn't want to go whole hog until I was sure what modern machines were all about (my last machine was a Whites Coinmaster, 80s vintage). Safari convinced me to get a CTX. (and paid for itself on inland-only sites in a year)

When people ask me what machine should they get, I usually have 3 machines I recommend, based on available funds:
- the CTX (best all around imo) (note: you can swing it much faster than a Safari)
- an ATPro as a mid priced detector or beginner machine if s/he has lots of disposable cash (great all weather machine for the money)
- Garrett Ace 350 w'DD for a beginner that doesn't want too much financial commitment.
(Excal for underwater/wet beach of course but anyone who is that serious already knows about the Excal)

No problem. I understood where you where coming from. Thanks for the feedback.