Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Safari or X Terra 705

bd1024

Hi everyone, new member here, hoping to get some opinions. I detected a few years in the past, and left the hobby for other pusuits. Want to get back into the hobby, and am seeking some advice. In the past, I owned a x-terra 705, and a Safari. I sold the Safari pretty quickly, frankly, because I could'nt fiqure out how to work it properly. After switching to the X-terra 705, and going through a learning curve, I become competent with the unit, but never an "expert" ---- Only wanting to purchase 1 unit, this time, I need help deciding on which one. ----- I have the oportunity to serch a farm field where a large airliner crash occured about 50 years ago. Many were killed, and the wreckage was scattered over an approximate 10 acre area. The field has been farmed yearly since the accident, (is not a memorial sight, that was established in a cemetary where remains were buried) ----- Crops grown since the accident, have been corn and soybeans. ---- My friend has not allowed hunting on the property, and I will be the first person to hunt there with full permission. ----- I hope to recover rings, necklaces, watches, etc. Soli is mild, so balanceing should not be an issue. -- Not to be gruesome, but the crash was horriffic and no bodies were found intact. --- My friend says he turns up pieces of the wreckage every year, which makes me think finds should be very possible, even after all these years. -----So, what would be your dectector of choice? Safari, (after a learning curve), or X-terra 705, with the 18.75 coil, a 7.5 coil, or a 3? --- Do I need multiple coils with a Safari? --- Lastly, I had a friend who was a member here from the Albany NY area. He bought my 705 and a couple othe detectors from me, and was a big help in helping me to learn the 705. Can't remember his name,(maybe John?), but he once founf a gold "grill" at a city park. If your out there, let me know. --- Ethically, I see no difference in hunting this field than a civil war battlesight, If I were to find something that was identifiable, I would make efforts to return to family. Appreciate your help, Thanks, BD1024

Well, I have had both and I'm sticking to the 705. I really had high hopes for the Safari, but it let me down. I've had 3 of them over the last 5 years and lost a lot of $$$$ getting out for under them.
The 705 in MY CASE works better for me. Relic hunting fields & woods is all I do and the 705 with the 10.5DD coils get it done for me. I have other machines I use in really trashy Iron spots, but overall the Xterra is my weapon of choice................Mark

I have a 705 and was wanting a FBS machine and askede my local dealer plus others here and all said the 705 was a better machine .. so if a dealer talks you out of a sale that would line his pocket I would believe him

Since the soil is mild and you won't be hunting any salt water beaches, and will need fast recovery speed and the ability to cruise the site looking for hot spots ( hence moving quickly), the 705 is the way to go.

It's an awesome unit.

GET THE 705 great detector good hunting
Don

I have a Xterra 70, had a Quattro pretty much the same as Safari. Sold the Quattro.

The 705 is a great machine and having 40 years hunting I can tell you honestly the Safari will out perform the 705.Having said that I can also tell you that the Safari is easy to use but very hard to master.For 95% of people I would recommend the 705 because there is not that much to keep checking on which I believe makes your hunt more enjoyable.The real difference between the 705 and the Etrac or Safari is they have 11 sets of coils built in you do not have to change coil/freq. by hand like the 705.I started using Minelabs about 4 years ago but I can tell you that my 1266 Fisher was a great 9 inch machine on a dime and more fun to hunt with less complicated.The 705 reminds me of my 1266 but I think it will go about 2 inches deeper than my old fisher.

In your "next to the last" post to this forum, you said:
Prep1957 said:
If I would get a non FBS detector it would be a 705.I used one for about 2 days and liked it.

In this most recent post, you said:
Prep1957 said:
The real difference between the 705 and the Etrac or Safari is they have 11 sets of coils built in you do not have to change coil/freq. by hand like the 705.

Apparently I'm missing something. :shrug: What are the 11 sets of coils you refer to, that are "built in" to the ETRAC and Safari? HH Randy