Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Safari Overload

Birdseed

Hello from Tasmania, first post to the Safari forum.
Bought our Safari just over 12 months ago. When first switched on after assembly it went straight into "Overload" with the typical reverberating signal. no matter what I did, it would not reset. I was close to the aluminiun siding of our caravan when I fist switched on but moving out into wide open spaces with detector held high in the are still gave "Overload" on switch on. Made a quick call to Minelab who were helpfull but at a loss to explain. Next morning was a hard frost, -2 deg C. Thought I would try the Safari again and, yes you guessed it, perfect start-up. Well for the next 4 weeks it would operate for a day or two then go back to the overload state again. As you can imagine, not a good way to start a detecting holiday. Had the Sovereign GT so all was not lost. On arriving back in Melbourne we returned the Safari to the dealer, where it went straight into "Overload" state, so it was packed up and returned to the factory. Three weeks later Minelab returned it to Tasmania with a note saing no faults could be found. On switching on, yes you guessed it again. "OVERLOAD". This happend only once, it's been faultless since. But my nerves tighten every time I switch it on. While writing this, I have suddenly had the thought that shortly after the detector was returned from Minelab I changed over to the optional N/Mh rechargable battery pack. Hmmm food for thought.
Has anyone else experienced similar problems with a Safari?? My warranty expires in about 10 months and I would like to be sure I have a good unit by then.

Cheers and good finds

Pete

My Safari went into Overload this summer while I was digging a signal. Never could get it to return to normal. Sent it in and they couldnt find the problem. They replaced the whole circuit board for me and charged me $325, wasnt in warranty. If you have another coil for your Safari, try that to see if it still overloads. If that is not the problem, then it is somewhere on your board. Apparently the technicians dont know what they are doing if they cant track down a faulty part. Good luck, Mark

Tnx for the reply Mark
Don't think the "Overload" problem is with the coil as it persists even when turning on with the coil disconnected. Just have to live in hope. Has behaved for some time now.

Pete

thermal sensitivity might be a loose or partialy soldered component on the board. Id take a careful look at all the solder joints, or chip seats as well as wire solder joints. You could buy some circuit board freeze from radio shack and selectively hit places with it till you find the bad joint.

Good luck..

Edward,
Thanks for the tip, don't want to do anything to upset the warranty at the moment. Will not hesitate for a second once it has expired. Have had some experience with dry joints in my Ham Radio life. (Radio call VK7PL).
My original post was to test the water on a larger forum and see if anyone else was experiencing similar problems.
Pete