Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Safari Question

coindgr

Hello All, Im a New Safari User And Was Wondering If Most Of You Use Ferrous Sounds When Coin Hunting ? Thats What I Have Been Using My Past Four Times Out And Did Very Well For A Rookie, 6 Wheaties and Two Nickles 41&45,Used All Metal Real Slowly To Get Used To Tones All These Coins Were Mixed In With Nails And Rusted Fenceing, Any Tips Or Hints ? Thanks,Phil:minelab:

Welcome Coindgr, I think you can learn a lot here on this forum. I sure do!
I started in C&J mode and worked it for quite a while that way. I was a bit confused by the ferrous numbers. Once I got comfortable with C&J mode I started cross checking it with the AM mode. Wasn't sure why there even was a ferrous mode because a 38 in one was a 38 in the other etc. I thought why not just open the discrimination up in the C&J mode and you have all an AM mode. After a while and some advice from this forum I figured out that not all the numbers coincide. I needed to listen for the high tones with -2's and -1's. That seemed to help a lot. Ran in AM mode for some time because I thought I might be missing some signals while the Safari was discriminating. About 4 months ago I switched back to C&J mode primarily and cross check occasionally with AM mode. Will go to AM mode if I hear a squeak between nulling. I have a C&J mode saved in Relic mode as suggested by Prep. Gets rid of the picture ID's. Never looked at those anyway.
That is a lot of words to say...I use C&J mode primarily for coin shooting. (But not for relic hunting)
Enjoy your Safari, look forward to seeing some of your finds here. Don't forget pix and the numbers used and depths!
HH,
Bunker

Thank You Bunker, Will Give C&J A Try And Cross Check With AM,Thanks Again.:thumbup:

Phil,

From my reckoning it seems like you've got a great handle already with your Safari!
What you have accomplished thus far is defeat one of the worst detecting scenarios: coins and nails mixed in.
If you've pulled coins out then that's a brilliant accomplishment.

Well done.

Des D

Thanks Des D, I Have Been Detecting For Several Years Now And Found Many Nice Coins and Relics Ect. With VLF Detector and I Have Gone Over Some These Areas With It And In Diffrent Diections And soil Conds.,The Safari Found Them In Heavy Minerals and Iorn !! Im Impressed And Cant Wait To Hit My Old Areas Again! Trying To Get Permission To an 1880s Farmhouse With Lots Of Out Blds. And 100 acres,This Place Looks Awsome! Spring Cant Come Soon Enough,I Still Have Never Found Any Large Cents Yet And Maybe One Will Be In My Future! HH, Phil