Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Safari sensitivity ?

Sonofdust

Have a question for y'all
I've been swinging an 18" coil on my Safari for a few years now with the a sensitivity set around 6 to 8.
Last fall I couldn't run it no highter then 2. Hunting the same fresh water beaches that I ran it at 6 to 8 sens.
I've cleaned the terminals and changed the coil to a 6"X9" and still cannot run the sensitivity no higher then 2 ?
What do you think I'm doing wrong ?

I run my sensitivity around 17-19 using my standard & SEF 6x8" coil?
Why yours sens. is so low ?
Also this is neutral ground not salt.

I run my sensitivity around 17-19 using my standard & SEF 6x8" coil?
Why yours sens. is so low ?
Also this is neutral ground not salt.
That's what got me ? I could run 14 to 15 sens. on a salt water beach.
Fresh water beach 8 sens. but as of last fall and this spring a 3 gets to chatty even on a smaller coil?

Power on the machine and when its all powered up, hold down the power button until it resets itself. You will have to adjust your settings again to your liking , your saved programs should still be good. Let us know if that did the trick for you. Hope this helped.

Power on the machine and when its all powered up, hold down the power button until it resets itself. You will have to adjust your settings again to your liking , your saved programs should still be good. Let us know if that did the trick for you. Hope this helped.
That did it Ronaldj2
It works in the house and as soon as the freezing rain stops I'll take it outside. I never knew how to do a factory reset on this machine.
Thank you...

Glad to hear it worked. Careful in the house as there is a lot of EMI. Especially with all the electrical and electronic equiptment that we all have. Safari is a great machine and very sensitive to picking up signals indoors. Make sure to always do your noise cancel. This will eliminate EMI and will find the best frequency for the area.

Glad to hear it worked. Careful in the house as there is a lot of EMI. Especially with all the electrical and electronic equiptment that we all have. Safari is a great machine and very sensitive to picking up signals indoors. Make sure to always do your noise cancel. This will eliminate EMI and will find the best frequency for the area.
I had the Safari out side today and got the sens. up to 14. We've got two days next week where I think I can make it to a fresh water beach.
I should of cought on when the penny's were sounding like dimes.
Thanks again for the help.

Some times the pennies will sound like dimes , its kind of an odd thing that happens under the right circumstances. You may have a high tone with a 34-36 or even 37 , and it is a penny. Higher copper content in the older pennies brings the pitch up close to dime and quarter range. The newer dimes and quarters have more copper in them also , but the silver content brings them up to a 38. I have found dimes under the 36-38 range with the same high tone. Quarters should always come up at 38 with a high tone. A real silver quarter usually will not deviate. You can also try auto sensitivity which seems to work well in most cases. Happy hunting

Some times the pennies will sound like dimes , its kind of an odd thing that happens under the right circumstances. You may have a high tone with a 34-36 or even 37 , and it is a penny. Higher copper content in the older pennies brings the pitch up close to dime and quarter range. The newer dimes and quarters have more copper in them also , but the silver content brings them up to a 38. I have found dimes under the 36-38 range with the same high tone. Quarters should always come up at 38 with a high tone. A real silver quarter usually will not deviate. You can also try auto sensitivity which seems to work well in most cases. Happy hunting
Thanks for the heads up Ron.
Looks like it will be Thursday before I can get out and try your tips in the field. I have found that lowering the sens. does help with lowering the # that the penny's come in at (not all the time thow) but having to run the sens.
at two I knew something was wrong.
Now that you showed me how to do a factory reset I'm in pull tab heaven.
Thanks again Ron.

Made it out to a couple of parks yesterday.
Started off doing a ground balance and sens. set at 14 and before long had the sens. back down to 8 Just to calm her down. I can live with that.
Thanks for all the help..

Is it EMI? Do you have other detectors to see if it's EMI?
I Don't be leave its EMI.
No power lines or cell service in most of the places I hunt except for the school and was running the sens. at 14.
You think it could be because the ground is so wet ? My hunting partner had no problems ?

Have you tried both coils ? Are you hitting a lot of targets ? Have you adjusted the trash density setting ? Make sure your coil wire is screwed in all the way. Could you be getting cross interference with your hunting partner ? Sorry for all the questions.

Have you tried both coils ?
No. Just the 6x9
Are you hitting a lot of targets ?
No.
Have you adjusted the trash density setting ?
Trash density set on low.
Make sure your coil wire is screwed in all the way.
Could you be getting cross interference with your hunting partner ?
No. We split up.
Sorry for all the questions.
Not a problem, ide like to get this figured out to.

I had one spot this year that the ground just had too many hot rocks. I was using my equinox. I had to turn the sensitivity down in that particular area because of falsing and chatter. Same thing happened in another spot a few years ago with my Safari. It was worse with the Safari . I thought the machine was broken. I did factory resets to no avail. When I moved to a different area the chatter went away. Some areas here in Western MA were ancient prehistoric volcanos. Sometimes you just have to move on to a different spot or sacrifice sensitivity. How is the soil in that area. Sometimes they use old coal furnace slag as fill under the soil. Especially if its a park or ball field. They don't do it in modern times but they did until the 80's. Hope this helps with the mystery.

I had one spot this year that the ground just had too many hot rocks. I was using my equinox. I had to turn the sensitivity down in that particular area because of falsing and chatter. Same thing happened in another spot a few years ago with my Safari. It was worse with the Safari . I thought the machine was broken. I did factory resets to no avail. When I moved to a different area the chatter went away. Some areas here in Western MA were ancient prehistoric volcanos. Sometimes you just have to move on to a different spot or sacrifice sensitivity. How is the soil in that area. Sometimes they use old coal furnace slag as fill under the soil. Especially if its a park or ball field. They don't do it in modern times but they did until the 80's. Hope this helps with the mystery.
The soil is mostly blow sand with 4 -6 inches of sod. Now the school has been on the same property from back in the 1800s. They have just filled in more swamp to build more class rooms and I have ran across old slang there. Cell phone stays in the truck or at home.
I do check the ground in the All Metal mode before I do a ground balance then switch to coin & jewelry.