Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Safari vrs etrac

Texan

I own both machines. Too hot to really try out now. If you had to keep one which would you keep and why?

Texan, I have had both of these models several times over. Both are deep coin hunters. Since you already have both, I would keep the Etrac. The Safari is so called "entry level" FBS and in the right hands will perform with the Etrac. I believe with the Etrac screen, it gives the user much more information. I find no difference tone wise between the two and most Minelab users rely mostly on tones. I would have kept the Etrac, but I have bad wrists and the handle angle was changed on the Etrac between the SE pro, Explorer xs, and Safari-Quattro. Most really liked this changed grip angle, but it hurt me. You can't go wrong with either!

RLOH said:
Texan, I have had both of these models several times over. Both are deep coin hunters. Since you already have both, I would keep the Etrac. The Safari is so called "entry level" FBS and in the right hands will perform with the Etrac. I believe with the Etrac screen, it gives the user much more information. I find no difference tone wise between the two and most Minelab users rely mostly on tones. I would have kept the Etrac, but I have bad wrists and the handle angle was changed on the Etrac between the SE pro, Explorer xs, and Safari-Quattro. Most really liked this changed grip angle, but it hurt me. You can't go wrong with either!

While I have only had the Safari and CTX, RLOH posted what I believe about these machines. I also think that the Safari is the best silver machine ever on the market.

Would I be defeating my purpose by upgrading from Safari to Etrac?

I watch many youtube videos on the Etrac and it seems that it gives the detector more information on the target.

Are more people buying the Etrac because it's hyped up to be a better machine overall.

One problem I have not overcome with the Safari is that I seem dig way too much and giving up on the hole even though my Garret pinpointer tells me there is something there.

My Safari gives me good clean 37 to 39 signals and when I get to a depth of about 9" to 10" I simply give up. Is the Safari this good at depth? Am I not digging deep enough?

For some reason I've convinced myself that when I dig to the 9" level and still have not recovered my target, it's more than likely a huge rusted pipe or steel that's setting off my pinpointer.

Is there something the Etrac will tell me that the Safari wont?

If the consensus tells me to buy the Etrac, then I'm on it yesterday.

I bought the safari because it seemed to be more turn on and go. Found a good trade for a etrac and now I have both. Does the etrac have a harder learning curve?

Believe your Safari depth meter. If you are 2" beyond what your depth meter is telling you and you haven't found it yet, its probably a deep large Al object.

To me, you either buy Lowest FBS or Highest FBS unless theres some personal preference or financial consideration; ie Safari or CTX.

eta: but wait for just a bit more- Minelab is doing their Tease Thang about some new detector theyre going to release.

I owned a Safari one summer and then The next summer got a Etrac, I never saw any depth advantages.

One thing I did notice was the Safari was a lot more lighter to swing all day.

I'M a Jewelry Hunter so any thing that beeps from low iron & Up I dig, so the Co /Fe means nothing to me.

Thanx for that Rob, it's nice to know that the Safari is on par in depth with the more expensive Minelab detectors.

For me it's not about depth though.

I've read too numerous posts where some say you do a lot less digging with the Etrac because it gives the detectorist more information on what's under the coil... is this true?

I seem to dig way too much and deep. I give up on a lot of holes because I get tired of digging.

If the Etrac will make life easier for me then I'm all in.

Maybe I should make this into separate post to not take away from Texan's original intent for posting his question.

Thnx for any feedback.

I have a question for those that own (or have owned) both the Safari and the Etrac, which I don't think has been asked before regarding tones on both machines. Are the sounds/tones the same on both detectors? Are they exactly the same or is there a difference in tones? If they are different, how do gold rings sounds on an Etrac? I assume the tone on both machines are the same for silver coins and silver in general i.e. very high and very distinctive but I wanted to know if the ETrac may sound different with gold coins and jewelry under the coil?
P.s. How about the CTX tones?
Thanks G.S.

Totally different tones on silver for the CTX. TOTALLY. That is my one disappointment with the CTX. I can change the frequency (LOTS of options there) in the CTX, but I cannot replicate the 'flutey' silver tone of the Safari- I really miss that unmistakable sound of silver under the Safari coil. . On both machines, gold rings sound 'solid', no complaints with either.

btw, if anyone has ever replicated the Safari silver tone on a CTX, I'd be eternally grateful if you would share your settings with me......

Champ Ferguson said:
Totally different tones on silver for the CTX. TOTALLY. That is my one disappointment with the CTX. I can change the frequency (LOTS of options there) in the CTX, but I cannot replicate the 'flutey' silver tone of the Safari- I really miss that unmistakable sound of silver under the Safari coil. . On both machines, gold rings sound 'solid', no complaints with either.

btw, if anyone has ever replicated the Safari silver tone on a CTX, I'd be eternally grateful if you would share your settings with me......

Thanks C.F. Wouldn't it be an advantage to be able to 'adjust' the tones even just a bit to suit the ears of the detectorist. As I get up in age, my hearing isn't what it used to be and I find myself raising the threshold sound and the volume unfortunately, so to be able to tweek the tones would be a great asset!!

Definitely so, GS. I guess I don't think about that aspect as much as I have always had very good hearing. But yes, a huge help for those that have specific frequency loss of hearing.

Lots of folks seem to like to (for lack of a better phrase) 'Dumb Down' the CTX tones for some reason. The like to change the seemingly infinite frequency spread to just 4 or even 2 tones; almost making it into a PI machine without the depth advantage of a PI. Theres a HUGE amount of information in those tones once you learn them (and I'm still learning after year on the machine). The only thing I can think of is that they grew up on the more restricted 2/4 tones and are more comfortable hunting that way. Whatever works, I guess!