Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Safety and old military ordnance

Rivermarine1

I just sent a response to a guy in SA who was hunting an old battle site. I served 25 years in the Marine Corps and unfortunately had to pick up the pieces of too many good souls who didn't understand the danger of unexploded ordnance. It may not have functioned correctly when originally fired or thrown, but that doesn't make it any less dangerous. I know some hunters do go to places near old military bases and some current. If you hunt near any of these places, leave it where it is. I am not talking about the really old lead, steel, copper or brass shot. Most of those are just that. But some of us have access near sites with some of the more modern ordnance ( to include Spanish American War, WWI, WWII and more recent). When on a visit to Iwo Jima, we saw caches that had nitroglycerin still seeping out. It just ain't worth it. Look for the good stuff, not the deadly ones. Good luck and good hunting.

Good advice....unless your a trained expert, NEVER try to pick up any unexploded ordnance...Call in the bomb squad. I just read about the guy who disarmed that stuff for a living blowing his self up...He was supposed to be one of the best....

HH,

BH-LandStar

i hear you, rivermarine. good advice. i live about 5 miles away from where sam white, the relics dealer, was killed while disarming a civil war shell back in february. i was at work, but my wife plainly heard the explosion --- 5 miles away! i sometimes encounter shrapnel and other pieces of shells in the field, the intact ones are usually deeper than i like to dig. semper fi, and hh,