Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Salt water beach results ?

El

Surely with all the testing going on with the ATX there has to be some salt water beach hunting results. Sure would be nice if someone could post them. Come on Garrett give the ok to post result.:please:

This is probably my biggest concern. I liked the Infinium, but always had stability issues in salt water. The machine worked, but it seemed like I was always fighting it. I am hoping very much that the ATX is better behaved in salt water.

After using 4-5 different PI units on the salt water beaches in NJ, the Infinium was the best in terms of gold production.

It's nice to have a 'better behaved' PI, but I found those were not as sensitive nor as deep as the Infinium when tuned properly. Hopefully the ATX still has all the Infinium like gold finding capabilities, with better stability.

Granted the Infimium is a pain to tune sometimes in the salt water conditions, and in certain situations I have to run at less than optimal settings which may then drop the performance below the 'better behaved' units, but when the Infinium is tuned at optimal, it's a beast on the beach.

I only use the 10x14 mono.

So I guess I am saying for me, I would rather fight with the Infinium and try to get it set correct, knowing I have the ability to tune it, than use a less than tunable PI. The frequency check and GB features on it are something I cannot live without on a PI any longer.

Although the ATX looks tempting, I am gonna stick to my Infinium.

What makes you think the ATX is less tuneable than an Infinum? I am net seeing less ability but more with the ATX.

I was actually set to get another Infinium. I think a little Googling will show I was one if the first people who saw the potential in the Infinium. But there is no reason to settle for hard to operate. You can have performance and well behaved both.

Steve,

I was referring to other PI units I have used, and pointed out hopefully the ATX is more stable with all the features ( and more ) of an Infinium. If it is, great. I don't know if it has the ability to change coils or hip mount (did not read those features in the specs but I may have missed it).Those features do factor into the decision process for some ( as well as cost).

I got my Infinium used, and on it's second trip paid for itself 5-6 times over, finding me a super nice diamond ring (hence being my favorite PI unit). I know how to run it in my conditions, so I am sticking with it.

For the record, your articles on the Infinium helped in my decision on getting one.

In case you feel like answering another question....after you get an ATX will you ever choose to use it nugget hunting instead of the GPX in dry moderate terrain?
Based on what you've gathered so far.

Cheers,

Tye

Hi Tye,

I would only use a ATX instead of a GPX if I thought it would outperform the GPX. I am confident the ATX will work better underwater that a GPX and pretty sure it will do better than an Infinium. So a no-brainer for me as it is water use I am interested in.

Is Garrett about to release a $2500 detector that will outperform a $6000 detector in any way? I have no idea but I doubt it. The Infinium is not serious competition for a GPX 5000 in head to head performance. I honestly am simply hoping the ATX would close the gap somewhat but I do not have any expectation that the ATX will outperform a GPX 5000. Any Minelab dealer will tell you Minelab made a huge mistake dropping the SD models and abandoning the $2000 - $3000 price segment. There is a market for people wanting a good PI but who can't go so far as a GPX 4800 or 5000. The ATX could be that machine. They could sell piles of them overseas.

Long answer to explain that I do not see me or anyone else putting a a GPX 5000 aside to use an ATX. My intention is to augment my GPX for situations where it is not suited. The GPX obviously is not waterproof. It in theory is a good beach machine but I am loath to expose mine to salt air environments. My main intention for the ATX is mask and snorkel lake and stream detecting and a trip to Hawaii in January.

The way I see it the ATX is priced such that it needs to clearly offer an advantage over the Infinium or TDI. Why would anyone get an ATX if an Infinium was just as good for half the price? But will I set aside my GPX to use the ATX instead as you have asked? I do not have any expectation of that, but who knows? Time will tell. Luckily for me that is a non-issue. Not having any expectation of that I will not be disappointed if it does not happen.

Hi Steve,

The only reason I asked the question is I have heard recently that in some official testing in hot ground.....it seemed to be out performing a GPX 4000 class machine.
And I also see that someone on this forum posted something similar to what I had heard. I don't pretend to know how accurate this information is but it sure surprised me.

If it's true...I might just have to replace my Infinium.....might even start looking a little sideways at my 5000 too.

Thanks for your take on what might become a more interesting topic down the road....

Cheers,

Tye