Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

salt water

burnham digger

Hi i am new to beach digging and i wonder if any one can please tell me best settings on my garrett at pro for wet beach as some say you can you it in salt while others say you can't.
I am going to burnham on sea beach england for atry

Hi i am new to beach digging and i wonder if any one can please tell me best settings on my garrett at pro for wet beach as some say you can you it in salt while others say you can't.
I am going to burnham on sea beach england for atry

I hear this ask often on forums about different detectors. The truth is no setting someone gives you on a forum is going to be right it may be somewhat close but more than likely it will not be. Keep in mind detectors of the same model are a little different sometimes from unit to unit. Also the ground in areas and the beach change all the time.

*** The real answer to your question and the best rule of thumb is the four things listed below and it applies to the use of all VLF detectors.

1. Set your discrimination or disk to what you want most folks on the beach disk out enough iron to get rid of bobby pins and small iron trash.

2. This is very important (Ground balance correctly on the whet salt water sand or ground your going to be hunting on) Also note, it’s a good idea to re ground balance after any sensitivity/gain changes to your detector or going from whet sand to dry sand.

3. Use as much sensitivity/gain as you can without out the detector getting unstable or falsing (increase to unstable then back down just enough to make the detector stable). keep in mind step 2 when making these changes. Now Your done, your detector is as good as it’s going to get.

4. In heavy iron trash areas it sometimes pays dividends to back the sensitivity/gain down a little more.

Every time you hunt a new spot these four general rules apply. They should give the best setting for your detector and the ground you are hunting that day.

Happy Hunting,
Bill G

Last edited:
I hear this ask often on forums about different detectors. The truth is no setting someone gives you on a forum is going to be right it may be somewhat close but more than likely it will not be. Keep in mind detectors of the same model are a little different sometimes from unit to unit. Also the ground in areas and the beach change all the time.

*** The real answer to your question and the best rule of thumb is the four things listed below and it applies to the use of all VLF detectors.

1. Set your discrimination or disk to what you want most folks on the beach disk out enough iron to get rid of bobby pins and small iron trash.

2. This is very important (Ground balance correctly on the whet salt water sand or ground your going to be hunting on) Also note, it’s a good idea to re ground balance after any sensitivity/gain changes to your detector or going from whet sand to dry sand.

3. Use as much sensitivity/gain as you can without out the detector getting unstable or falsing (increase to unstable then back down just enough to make the detector stable). keep in mind step 2 when making these changes. Now Your done, your detector is as good as it’s going to get.

4. In heavy iron trash areas it sometimes pays dividends to back the sensitivity/gain down a little more.

Every time you hunt a new spot these four general rules apply. They should give the best setting for your detector and the ground you are hunting that day.

Happy Hunting,
Bill G
VERY good advice!! :thumbup: