Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Sand removal/deposit vs. wave intervals

beachmole

Hi guys, I have heard over the years that wave intervals of seven seconds or less cause sand to be removed from the beach and intervals of eleven seconds or more cause sand to be deposited. I've never noticed if this appears true or not. What are your feelings ? I have noticed that high winds have really removed a lot of sand on some days but other days right after high winds, it appeared that a lot of sand was added to the beach. Never really figured it out.

Never timed it myself, but observation suggest faster wave frequency remove sand and slower wave frequency deposit.
The direction of wind and moon phase in combination with a storm can provide spectacular sand cuts.

It's true. It's kewl to watch. When the wave intervals are short the sand gets picked up by the wave and gets pulled down the beach but before the sand has time to settle the next wave picks it up and it continues it's trip seaward. That is as long as the waves are onshore. NE or SE here on the East Coast. NW winds and waves with long intervals push sand back up onto the beach. The nice smooth hollowed out waves that the Surfers like so much which are caused by offshore winds are the waves the throw the sand back up on the beach.

HH

Beachcomber

Intervals of 6 seconds, with white caps out as far as you could see, and on-shore wind of 30 knots created the cut in the photo. I found $18.81, but no gold. It held up for three days, but by the fifth day, you couldn't tell it was ever there!

http://www.stormsurf.com/ is a great site for predicting detecting conditions. There's a tab just for wave intervals that, when combined with wind, current and wave height info, can make it easier to decide if a particular day off would be better served detecting or catching up on the honey do list. I know, I know...EVERY day is better served detecting than honey doing. But experience has shown me that too many detecting days without some bling for mamma makes for not much "daddy doing"...So I try to predict good conditions and jump then.

VBDave

Anthony,

As successful as you've been this year, I'd say you don't need any more help....But you're welcome anyway!

VBDave

Thanks for verifying my assumption guys. I will be paying more attention to wave interval in the future as it is about a three hour drive for me to hit the NC beaches. Love this forum !!

Hey VB Dave.. i was reading and spotted the link you provided.. bookmarked it.. thanks for the post. Mikey