Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Sand Scoop Help

Thinking about getting a scoop to do some water hunting. Will be hunting in fresh water lakes and rivers. I know I need a long handled scoop, but was wondering if an aluminum scoop would hold up to the task or would I need to get a stainless steel scoop. Most of the lakes will have mud and the rivers will have gravel. A few of the lakes I will go to will have a sand beach area. Will be using my AT PRO. I Have never water hunted before. Any advice would be appreciated.

I would suggest you get a nice stainless steel water scoop, with lots of holes to get the stones and sand out quickly. Attach a magnet inside the scoop to help get the iron finds. Order the scoop separately, then you can buy a wooden handle at home and save $$$ by not paying for shipping. Below is a pic of my monster scoop.

INFINGOLD.jpg

Ditto to John. My aluminum scoops did not last because of rocky lake bottoms. I finally bit the bullet and bought a used one on ebay that takes a post hole digger handle. Looks exactly like yours John. It's a little hefty but is bomb proof and built to last.
HH, Mac

Forget aluminum, go stainless steel. Personally, I like a smaller scoop. Those biggun's will wear you out after toting them around for just a little bit. I prefer a totally steel one over the wood handled ones as the handle comes off the scoop at an angle rather than straight up, makes for easier digging, in my opinion, for whatever that's worth. Look at the RTG ones, they makes some nice'uns!!

I went from a medium to a large basket, because I was using the Infinium, and getting finds at real scary depths. If you use good body mechanics, the large stainless steel isn't too bad. Of course with a lot of use you start to look like HULK, very attractive to the opposite sex. :)

I could use that scoop from now till doomsday and I'm prettty sure I would not be any more attactive to the oppssite sex. You know what they say....Beauty is only skin deep...but ugly goes all the way to the bone!! I had a larger scoop for awhile but the danged thing weighed a ton and once you got a load of gravel and mug, it was almost impossible to lift out of the water with one hand...unloaded it pronto!!

Thanks everybody for you answers. I'm going to go with the stainless steel. Now one more question. Should I get one with 1/2" or 5/8" holes.

5/8" holes will save those small pieces of jewelry better. Try find a scoop with a variation for holes, where the tiniest holes are at the bottom of the scoop. Here you can save the tiny targets by holding the scoop in an upright position. You can also add 1/4" wire mesh on the bottom of the scoop to to catch tinier targets.

Another option is to build a floating sifter. Here are my instructions to build one like mine.

IMG_04772.jpg

Get a plastic Garrett classifying pan for gold panning

two3.jpg

Get some sheets, cut square.

holes2.jpg

Measure and cut a hole big enough so that the bottom of the plastic pan sits in the water below the Styrofoam.

three2.jpg

I covered the floating sifter with porous fabric, attached a rope, contained it with duck tape and tethered it to my belt when water hunting. You just dump the sand scoop sand in the sifter, and it sifts the sand automatically while you just keep on searching for gold! :)

Just curious, I posted a suggestion for another scoop and it was deleted. Any reason why?

Yes, I weat a PFD when I water hunt!! Danged near drowned summer before last when I got on a gravely steep slope and all my gear just pulled me under and I could get back up. My scoop saved me as I was able to dip in up-slope and pull myself to shallower water. Been wearing one ever since, even in shallow water. Anyway, you can see the sifter I made from wood dowels, 1/2" hardware cloth, a noodle and a few pull ties.

[attachment 220805 0atpgear.jpg]

Last month I went to see Verklin Baab's shop and bough a heavy duty sand scoop. I tested it on the beaches. I love it. Check out at proscoops.com .