Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Sand Shark and Sensitivity

CladDog

The purpose of the post (and why I am not posting this in beach hunting forum) is not to start an angry debate over which PI unit goes deeper or which is more sensitive to small targets. I am only posting this to help those thinking about buying a Sand Shark and those who want some comparison information about how the Sand Shark works in a particular environment.

A little about me: I have been detecting for about four years now. I developed an early preference for Tesoro detectors as I enjoyed them, but I have used or tested a wide variety of units from other manufacturers. I also own and use non-Tesoro units. I live about forty miles from the beaches of the east coast of Central Florida and I get to hunt them about twice a month. Overall, I get in about 4-6 hours of detecting a week because I work full time. I started early on with a Sand Shark and tried using it everywhere on the beach. Not the best idea. The beach was loaded with trash, especially the dry sand, and I exhausted myself regularly with little to show for my efforts. In frustration, I finally sold my Sand Shark.

Fast forward to the present. A little more experienced and a little wiser, I was looking for two beach units: one for the dry sand and one for the wet. I decided on a PI unit for the wet, mostly because I just did not trust the accuracy of the tones on dual or multi-frequency VLF detectors. In the wet sand, I feel digging it all is best. I eventually decided on another Sand Sand because I knew how well they were built and that they also had a volume control (a great feature most PI detectors do not offer). I will confess that if Detectorpro was still making the Headhunter Pulse, I probably would have bought it, but since it isn't, the Sand Shark became my new first choice. I purchased the unit with the 8" coil.

The Atlantic Ocean beaches along Central Florida are mutli-colored sands, not the white sand beaches you find on the panhndle. It has a reputation for being a tougher environment to hunt in th wet stuff. On this Sunday morning, I arrived at the beach near low tide. The stretch of wet sand ran between 5-10 yards from the dry sand to the water line. I did not go into the water beyond my ankles. I walked a regular pattern from the dry sand to the water line and back up to the dry again, slowly moving across the shoreline. I hunted for about three hours and only saw one other detectorist, an Excal user who was mostly following the shore line. We waved but did not speak.

I ran the Sand Shark in VCO mode, the Pulse Rate just past the recommended preset mark, the Threshold barely audible, and the volume at a comfortable level.

These beaches are heavily hunted and frequently re-sanded, especially during hurricane season, so targets were few and far between. This photo shows all of the targets I dug, with the exception of one rusted and blackened bottlecap that I threw out.

The last target I dug was the earring in the picture, placed next to a dime to give you a size reference.

The signal came in faint, but repeatable. It was faint at every angle, but there was clearly a target under the coil. My sand scoop is smaller type that holds about 2 quarts of sand with a full scoop, and took a couple of scoops to make wider hole (pinpointing is still a bit of challenge). I tested the signal again. Still faint. Took another scoop. Still faint. Third scoop, the signal disappeared. Did I have it?

The good part about this hole was that just beneath wet sand was a deep layer of hard sand and crushed shells, so the hole did not collapse as I dug. It did fill with water, but the tide did not come up to the edge.

I emptied the scoop onto the sand and scanned it. The target now read out very loud and very clear. Why the difference in volume? I can only assume this target was lying at an angle and did not provide enough mass to give the detector a more solid target. But out of the hole it was laying on its side (I could see it when I smooth out the sand pile with my foot) and the signal strength increased greatly.

The depth of the earring was right at 6" in wet salt sand. I was impressed by both the size of the target and th depth at which it could be found. PI units may be dead to small targets beyond a certain range, but the facts surrounding this unit show that it can hit very small targets at 6 incles, and very likely deeper depending on what angle the target is lying in the sand.

I hope this post is useful to anyone using the Sand Shark or looking for data on the sensitivity of PI units in general.

Nice write up CladDog.

One small correction offered: Where you mention
the Pulse Rate just past the recommended preset mark
The pulse rate on the Sand Shark is fixed by design at about 600 pulses per second. The adjustment is for Pulse Width, with a wider Pulse Width transmitting a little more total power.

And a question; what observations do you have about coil sweep speed and response to small or deep targets?
Cheers,
tvr

:super:nice earring.that would be a tough target for any detector at six inches in wet sand .when I am having a hard time pinpointing width the sand shark I will switch from the vco to the normal its got a little more punch ,I also turn my pulse with up .

I hunt the beaches near Tampa. On the dry sand the ATPro works great as it can dig deep and discriminate most of the bottle caps and other junk. It will find smaller gold objects on the dry sand, but not much depth in salt water. In the salt water I use the Sand Shark and it is very effective. Yes, it will find the small stuff, but that includes very small nails and bobby pins. In the water I dig it all too. Since the beginning of the year 2 small gold rings and 2 silver rings. 2 out of 4 were found in the water with the Sand Shark. Sounds like we are on the same page. Good luck hunting!

tvr,

You are right, thanks for the correction.

As to sweep speed, I found going no faster than one full sweep every three seconds to be best.

clad dog what U,S does the sand shark run at ,? I know my P,I runs @ 12us

Thanks for the sweep speed reference CladDog. The HH Pulse that I have makes me slow down to keep from sounding on the sand when I have it set on or near maximum on the frequency knob. The Sand Shark is very stable and, with it very well balanced on the shaft, I tend to sweep it a little too fast and need a reminder to slow down. Thinking about you finding the earring stud and sweeping slow will help!!!

Gunnar,
try this link:
http://www.findmall.com/read.php?34,1884081,2066380#msg-2066380

Not a definitive measured or design specification number, but probably a very educated guess. I try to read what Reg writes in the technology forum, but have not hit all of his posts yet.
Cheers,
tvr

Eddie, thanks for your thoughts. I hear nothing but great things about the ATP in dry sand.

Gunnar, I do not know the answer to that question but I hope tvr's link helps.

Pulltaber, I liked vco because I thought it would analyze target depth. Now I know it can also be an indicator of target mass.

I have the ATPro for dry sand and got a SandShark for wet too and am happy. I have only used the SS probably 4 hours or so, but feel comfortable on normal mode, PW at about 2:15 and threshold at 1:00 where I go (OC Maryland). I had no problems on coins, nails, pulltabs, etc. listen closely to discern the positive and negative hits that may indicate deeper targets.

One thing I have noticed is that I rarely get hits on the middle part between the high tide water mark and the water. Near the water, I get hits and near the high tide water mark, but rarely on that middle slope area. Do you surf hunters experience the same? Knowing rings are more likely in the water, when I am on short time to hunt I will focus more there. With time on my hands I will go high water mark to thighs slowly in grid pattern like Terry Solomon recommends.