Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Sand Shark coil selection

Hammered Again

Hi all tesoro users, I have never been beach detecting before , so I did a bit of research and decided to buy a second hand sand shark. It has a n 8 inch coil but I am thinking if I enjoy beach detecting I would quite like to buy another coil for more ground coverage. Has anyone tried the 10 inch elliptical coil? What is it like for sensitivity and depth? Any help or comments would be gratfully recieved. Thanks again. Happy Hunting everybody from the UK.

I've only used the 8 inch and 10.5 inch round coils. The larger coil can get flipped up when the water moves a lot, like where a wave is breaking. The 8 inch doesn't get flipped around. Of course the larger coil covers more ground. Both coils balance very well when the detector is clipped in behind and just below the elbow on the back side of the upper shaft. Enjoy your Sand Shark.
Cheers,
tvr

Just know Hammered, you can't swap out coils at will. The SS are tuned to each coil so you have to buy the one you want. I agree with tvr. Get the 8 inch. If you change your mind later on, you'd have to send in the detector to Tesoro and get them to change it out and retune it.

mortarman said:
Just know Hammered, you can't swap out coils at will. The SS are tuned to each coil so you have to buy the one you want. I agree with tvr. Get the 8 inch. If you change your mind later on, you'd have to send in the detector to Tesoro and get them to change it out and retune it.
hammered if you have an old style sand shark the coils can be changed by you.I have never had to send my sand shark in to get returned I have the 7 and 8 inch, that I change all the time .If you have the new style they do not charge much to change them out .I have herd that the 10 inch elliptical coil the way to go for covering a lot of ground and still sensitive to small gold .Happy hunting

I've got an older Sand Shark with connectors and can change coils. No need to retune it. I actually use the 10,5 inch coil a lot more than the 8 inch and just live with it sometimes flipping up.
Cheers,
tvr

Hi everyone i have the older type of ss and will be trying it out for the first time next week when on holiday in devon UK i will let you all know how i get on with my first hunt in the water,thanks for all the advice. HM.

Old style is one with connectors that let you change coils. New style is what is being made now and you buy it with either the 8 inch or 10.5 inch coil hard wired in with no connector. At least that is how I refer to them.
Cheers,
tvr