Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Sand Shark Depth

tailofdog

New to the Sand Shark and was hunting alonside of a CTX3030.
I had been hunting in VCO mode because i, liked the tone information.
The CTX had a signal i could not here until i switched to normal.
Food For Thought:surprised:

Granted, but if a mutli-frequency detector is beating a PI detector in the depth department, that is something to take notice of. One of the few advantages of these PI detectors over the mutli frequency detectors was the depth advantage. If that too is gone....wow.

Granted, there is a ridiculous price difference between the two, no argument there.

Sure that PI is healthy. CTX are good but alot of them go up for sale or trade as they are not depth monsters the price would make it seem. Heck I seen a vaquero go deeper than a ctx.

Sorry,
It did pick up the signal but, only after switching from VCO to Normal mode.
My friend has given me his Ctx on loan for a couple of days.
Took it out this morning and, have to say I am impressed.
It does not Null the same way other Minelabs do on iron. A lot quicker
Response after iron.
It's got me thinking.

to badd the CTX weighs 5 pounds, I think they are using them at the fitness centers, but not for metal detecting,

Not what you think.
I have joint problems and, detector weight is always
A Big concern for me. Swung the Ctx for 2 hrs today and, not
a twinge of discomfort.
Trust me on one thing if, it felt heavy or caused discomfort in
Any way I, would not consider it at all.
On top of which being in Australia they, are $2700 without waterproff headphones.
Our dealers will not discount to speak of.

You get alot of nice bells and whistles. They feel good in the hand but they are heavy. Its all in what ya want. The price ya pay for what ya get is crazy just in my opinion. It sure does not buy ya any more depth. But like everyone says its not all about depth. I wonder what they would sell for if they ripped out the GPS? Or would it be to close to the E-trac....... Just saying :)

Waterproofing is a big deal when you beach hunt. The GPS means nothing to me.
The big deal for me is not the traditional nulling, FBS for black sand, great target separation and,
Waterproof.
I am serious tell me a VfL metered detector that will do it all at a better price. j

I have always found deeper targets in normal than vco. But IMO the CTX doesn't go deeper than my Sand Shark with the 8" coil and definately not as sensitive to smaller gold targets. I owned the CTX. Great machine for land no doubt, but no more depth than my Etrac had. I purchased the CTX for freshwater hunting and was not impressed with it on small gold jewelry which I find in swim areas. I found larger gold with it, but any waterproof detector would have found that. The CTX is well balanced and very stable. I tested the CTX with a thin gold chain which is another pirece of jewelry that is found in swim areas and it wouldn't even make a crackle on it. The Sand Shark did at least make a crackle on it. But the CTX is a great all around machine for some, just not me. I needed a great freshwater hunter and a great saltwater hunter,along with a great warranty, so I purchased a new Tiger Shark for freshwater lakes and a new Sand Shark for the blacksand saltwater beaches and freshwater rivers I hunt where the sand is deeper. I purchased both detectors and 2 straight shafts for way less than I paid for the CTX. And got a lifetime warranty on both.

It's personal preference for the buyer. This is just mine.

Lake Hunter said:
I have always found deeper targets in normal than vco. But IMO the CTX doesn't go deeper than my Sand Shark with the 8" coil and definately not as sensitive to smaller gold targets. I owned the CTX. Great machine for land no doubt, but no more depth than my Etrac had. I purchased the CTX for freshwater hunting and was not impressed with it on small gold jewelry which I find in swim areas. I found larger gold with it, but any waterproof detector would have found that. The CTX is well balanced and very stable. I tested the CTX with a thin gold chain which is another pirece of jewelry that is found in swim areas and it wouldn't even make a crackle on it. The Sand Shark did at least make a crackle on it. But the CTX is a great all around machine for some, just not me. I needed a great freshwater hunter and a great saltwater hunter,along with a great warranty, so I purchased a new Tiger Shark for freshwater lakes and a new Sand Shark for the blacksand saltwater beaches and freshwater rivers I hunt where the sand is deeper. I purchased both detectors and 2 straight shafts for way less than I paid for the CTX. And got a lifetime warranty on both.

I guess one thing is we also have $1.00 and$2.00 coins. This pretty much means ther is reward outside of Gold.
I guess with digging all iron time becomes more precious.
I love my Tesoros but looking at what time reward works out to be.
It has to be put into the equation.

Granted the FBS is great for that no doubt. I am not knocking the machine it is nice and runs smooth. But waterproofing and a GPS makes $1200 more machine than an etrac? I know the guts have been upgraded but in testing they are pretty identical in talk and depth. I would love one but at the premium they charge it is just not justifiable.

I would say the excaliber with its multifrequency would do pretty well for alot less.

tailofdog said:
Waterproofing is a big deal when you beach hunt. The GPS means nothing to me.
The big deal for me is not the traditional nulling, FBS for black sand, great target separation and,
Waterproof.
I am serious tell me a VfL metered detector that will do it all at a better price. j

LOL that's what happens when you build a detector around a weed wacker design.

string-trimmers-01-0411-md.jpg

Here's the new CTX straight shaft handle attachment coming soon to a dealer near you

If your putting $1 and $2 coins ahead of gold, then yes the CTX is the machine for you. If your wanting gold jewelry, I prefer the Sand Shark and Tiger Shark. As far as true waterproof goes...there's no question that the tesoro water machines win out big time.

tailofdog said:
Lake Hunter said:
I have always found deeper targets in normal than vco. But IMO the CTX doesn't go deeper than my Sand Shark with the 8" coil and definately not as sensitive to smaller gold targets. I owned the CTX. Great machine for land no doubt, but no more depth than my Etrac had. I purchased the CTX for freshwater hunting and was not impressed with it on small gold jewelry which I find in swim areas. I found larger gold with it, but any waterproof detector would have found that. The CTX is well balanced and very stable. I tested the CTX with a thin gold chain which is another pirece of jewelry that is found in swim areas
and it wouldn't even make a crackle on it. The Sand Shark did at least make a crackle on it. But the CTX is a great all around machine for some, just not me. I needed a great freshwater hunter and a great saltwater hunter,along with a great warranty, so I purchased a new Tiger Shark for freshwater lakes and a new Sand Shark for the blacksand saltwater beaches and freshwater rivers I hunt where the sand is deeper. I purchased both detectors and 2 straight shafts for way less than I paid for the CTX. And got a lifetime warranty on both.

I guess one thing is we also have $1.00 and$2.00 coins. This pretty much means ther is reward outside of Gold.
I guess with digging all iron time becomes more precious.
I love my Tesoros but looking at what time reward works out to be.
It has to be put into the equation.

Even Tesoro charges about 50% more for waterproof machines.
Our Etrac price is $1800 our wireless Ctx is $ 2700
It took awhile for me to come around but, as I drowned a Sovereign I
Did not want to buy a lesser FBS machine wishing I had steped up
Or drown another detector.
It will do land and sea with a 3 yr warranty.
Best outside Tesoro warranty
As I said took me a while but, it does Rule for what I want
:jump:[​

No,just trying to share and, network it's how i learn.
Trust me i am convinced just, can't belive i am sprnding the money!
I love the Quality of Tesoro but, for what i want this machine will do
the work of 2 detectors and, i can after many hours of thinking it over
can justify the price

Good luck to your tailofdog. I hope you find that detector worth the price. A few really good finds should pay for it.

tailofdog said:
No,just trying to share and, network it's how i learn.
Trust me i am convinced just, can't belive i am sprnding the money!
I love the Quality of Tesoro but, for what i want this machine will do
the work of 2 detectors and, i can after many hours of thinking it over
can justify the price

Like I said before ......personal preference for the buyer.
I like having 2 machines that do the job the best instead of 1 machine the does the job of 2 OK.

Let us know how much you like it after 3 years and warranrty is over. I will do the same after 3 years with my lifetime warranty.

Good luck.....

You cannot beat the Sand Shark, Vaquero combo.