Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Sand Shark Question

mortarman

I wanted to know when the connector/coil issue was resolved on the Sand Shark. I have a chance to purchase one that's about 5 years old. If that's before the fix, would I have to sent it in to Tesoro to get fixed or just get another coil for it? Thanks!

The coils on new ones are hard-wired, no connector.

The issue was that the supplier who made the connector stopped making it. Tesoro tried to re-source it and I understand they tried to make their own and were not able to meet all the tests to ensure it held up over time and at full rated depth. Without a connector, they went back into production with it hard wired.

Have not had mine with connectors back for repair, nor have I called to ask about that issue of repair. Maybe Allcav (Robert) can chime in on what they do for repairs; or you would need to call the factory to find out.
Cheers,
tvr

Ok, so there shouldn't be a problem then with an older model?

That's a hard call.They must leak.If you buy it used you can't totally relie on the warranty.But one good thing you can change the size coil yourself.You can call Robert at tesoro Monday morning and talk to him about it.I am going to eventually get a shark myself.

mortarman said:
Ok, so there shouldn't be a problem then with an older model?

I bought my Sand Shark used just over 3 years ago. I don't dive with it so have not worried about pressure testing it. I am careful about opening it up for battery changes and making sure the surfaces where the O ring sit are clean. I use a very small amount of the correct grease on the O ring when it goes back together with new batteries. I have not had any problems with it. As long as the one you are looking at has been taken care of, age would not concern me. Heck I have a CZ6a that is about 19 years old that I bought used. It works great and just keeps paying for itself over and over. As does the CZ20 that I have that is about 10 years old. The Excalibur that I picked up in late 2010 was the original version making it about 15 years old or so and it has now paid me back in finds. Condition is more important than how old it is.

The Sand Shark is a solid design that is packaged pretty strongly. There are always risks buying used, but as long as you check it out and make sure it finds metal, looks solid with no cracks and looks like it has been taken care of, age by itself is not a reason to not buy it. If you are diving with it, may want it gone over by the factory. If it looks beat up, I'd walk away from it. It is a water proof detector, it is easy to rinse it off with clean fresh water and wipe down with a soft towel. It is not hard to keep it looking pretty good.
Cheers,
tvr

Well I decided to get a new one so I placed my order today! Just feel better with a full warranty.

Good call! I had a detector pro pulse,i now want the sandshark.Really pi detectors are quickly becoming the first choice for the salt beach hunters.They will just simply outperform the vlfs and multifreq detectors.If you are a serious beach hunter the ultimate would be pi,for the wet and vlf for dry.What coil size did you get?.Congrats on the new sandshark!.

Grubber said:
Good call! I had a detector pro pulse,i now want the sandshark.Really pi detectors are quickly becoming the first choice for the salt beach hunters.They will just simply outperform the vlfs and multifreq detectors.If you are a serious beach hunter the ultimate would be pi,for the wet and vlf for dry.What coil size did you get?.Congrats on the new sandshark!.

I got the 8" which I think will be fine for this old fart! Don't care to dig too deep! :rofl:

Oh yeah the 8 will be easier to handle for sure because i had the 11 on the pulse and they can get squirrelly on the pinpointing.I am thinking the 8 too.I just think that to move in the water also would be better.

I think you will like it. When I first started with the Sand Shark, I was not digging many deep targets. The better accustomed to the normal threshold sound I got the better I got at hearing deep targets. Now it finds many deep targets.
Cheers,
tvr

mortarman said:
I wanted to know when the connector/coil issue was resolved on the Sand Shark. I have a chance to purchase one that's about 5 years old. If that's before the fix, would I have to sent it in to Tesoro to get fixed or just get another coil for it? Thanks!
mortarman,The only connector issue was that Tsoro could not get them from the supplier after 2010.I had a Tiger Shark for about 10 years that had the old connector never ever leaked.But good luck with your new Sand Shark,I love mine.

I'll throw this out there since it pertains, spoke with Robert yesterday about the 10.5" coil on my Stingray etc. I was instructed to send in my control box , with a letter for Rusty ( parts ) and they would call me up on payment of the 10.5" coil. Hard wire the new coil in and ship my machine and 8" coil back.

I decide I want to return to the 8" then send it off again, Pretty simple.

Lakota

Well my Sand Shark arrived yesterday. What a nicely built machine! Looking forward to getting out with it next weekend while I'm in Avalon, NJ. Hopefully I'll have some finds to report back with!

Enjoy the machine Mortarman, the Sand Shark is my favourite water machine. Built like a tank.

For anyone looking at a used one, I've had Tiger Sharks and my Sand Shark with the interchangeable coil set up for years and never ever had a problem with the connector. It is rock solid and not an issue at all!