Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Sand Shark question

TNreb

I am considering the Sand Shark to hunt with when I go to the beach later this year. I will primarily be hunting in the water with it. My question is will the machine work on dry land as well. I hunt highly mineralized soil for relics and was wondering if it would work there as well as a back up to my other pulse machine.

First what is your other pulse machine ? There's such a wide range of machines.

People use it in the salt water & on dry sand. It works better & deeper than VLFs.

Its not as deep as a minelab PI machine & the newer SS has one hardwired coil, where minelab has a full line of coils (makes it more versital (for depth & trashy areas)). Not sure of Whites TDI compared to the SS.

It would work better than a VLF in mineralized soil & probley go deeper. With no discrimination, its a dig all targets, but with relic hunting is'nt that the norm.

HaRM

My other machine is the TDI and I love it for relic hunting. I have another machine that I can use on the dry sand but I was wanting a good salt water machine that can be used on land as well. I like the price of the Sand Shark. I have never hunted in the water and may only go once or twice a year which is why I am not looking at a high end machine right now. I read good things about the SS but never on how it does on dry land. I may just go ahead and get it just for the salt water feature since I already have a couple land machines.

I have read of one person using it in farm fields and said it worked.I just got one.My first trip to the beach i found a nice ring with stones.Found the first hour of use.Felix uses his in and on fresh water beach I plain to really hunt the Shark at the salt beach this month.It is very smooth for a pulse.To me the way it has such good modulated tone i discriminate by depth audio reading.In the dry sand i go for good solid hits that are not deep.In the wet sand i go for the deepies and this has worked good for me.I hope to show up with some good finds with the Shark this month.It is more of a smooth stable pi other than a super sensitive deep pi.I love it.It is nothing but quality.I would try to relic and coin hunt in a more remote older type area that has minimal trash.

TNreb said:
I may just go ahead and get it just for the salt water feature since I already have a couple land machines.

In my opinion, that may be the way to go about it. Not much in the way of adjusting on the Sand Shark. Pulse; delay is fixed, no ground adjust. Sand Shark works well in the salt water conditions I've encountered. Designed is set up for salt water conditions and while it may work for relic hunting, you won't be able to optimize it for conditions like you can the TDI. I haven't used a TDI, but would like to some day.
Cheers,
tvr

TNreb said:
I am considering the Sand Shark to hunt with when I go to the beach later this year. I will primarily be hunting in the water with it. My question is will the machine work on dry land as well. I hunt highly mineralized soil for relics and was wondering if it would work there as well as a back up to my other pulse machine.

Yes, it will cut through the mineralized soil as if it didn't exist.

Yes it works fine on land. Just be ready to dig really deep and you don't have any discrimination. I've dug 10 penny nail at 22". Had to use post hole diggers!

I have a Sand Shark that I bought new last year for water hunting, but wanted to try a school yard where I have found some old silver coins.
The reason I wanted to try this detector here is that the soil is red clay and I have tried a Sovereign here, but I had to turn the sensitivity way down or the detector would give a solid null as soon as I began to swing the coil.
If I switch to all metal, the Sovereign runs smooth so there is not alot of iron in the ground, but it must be something with the type of soil itself.
In fact, if I detect a target and want to use my pinpointer, the pinpointer beeps no matter where I touch the soil.. I have a Garret ProPointer and a Vibraprobe.. they both sound off everywhere I touch the ground.
I tried the Sand Shark here and it gave alot of signals like there was alot of iron in the ground, but I don't believe this is the case.. the signals are not repeatable and they sound like false signals.
To be honest with you, I have a Minelab Musketeer and with one exception of finding a silver quarter with and X-Terra 50, I have had great success at this school yard in finding silver coins that were around 7 inches deep.
This detector seems to work very well in this type of soil.. perhaps the low (5Khz) frequency has something to do with it.
The majority of the coins I found there was during a drought and the ground was very dry and hard and yet the Musketeer was able to detect them.
After we finally started getting some rain, I have not found any more.
I believe with this type of ground, the dryer it is, the less interference to the detector in trying to detect a deep target.
I love the Sand Shark in fresh water and it performs flawlessly in Saltwater, but I don't think I would want to use it for relic hunting.. just my opinion from my limited experience.

Works GREAT on dry land, farm fields, in all soils and conditions. Best PI for the money and warranty on the market today.