Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Sandshark for gold nuggets

rjsupersonic

I have used my Sandshark for a couple of years now and would never part with it. The other day I took it to the desert to see how it would do nuggetshooting and was surprised actually on how well it did. No gold, but many small lead shots and bullet fragments, which tells me it will find nuggets. I wanted to know if anyone else has used the shark for nuggets? Since it is pulse induction the heavy mineral laden ground posed no issues.

I bet it is another good tool to find gold in highly mineralized ground.I think this is a new experimental trend now.To use pi detectors for nugget hunting.But think about this,Is the shark set up sensitive to very small nuggets?This may be a factor.The shark is designed for jewelry.Not a nugget detector,But it might work? :O

Not sensitive enough to find very small nuggets, pulse delay cannot go as low enough to make it useful for nugget hunting.
You need to have a delay that will drop to 10us or 8us and specially made fast search coils. Sand Shark delay is set at 22us.
You will only find 8us on custom made machines.
Sand Shark is a general purpose PI. Tesoro already knows it's in dire need of a new PI to compete with machines that run at 15us
delay. The Tesoro Lobo and a few other in the Tesoro VLF line using a 5.75" coil might be a better choice for prospecting.

For those who want to learn about PI's and gold, this link will take you to an excellent read:
http://www.nuggetshooter.com/articles/UnderstandingPIdetector.html

Good link on PI detectors. thanks! It would be great if Tesoro came out with a high end PI detector to compete with Minelab.

Sven said:
Not sensitive enough to find very small nuggets, pulse delay cannot go as low enough to make it useful for nugget hunting.
You need to have a delay that will drop to 10us or 8us and specially made fast search coils. Sand Shark delay is set at 22us.
You will only find 8us on custom made machines.
Sand Shark is a general purpose PI. Tesoro already knows it's in dire need of a new PI to compete with machines that run at 15us
delay. The Tesoro Lobo and a few other in the Tesoro VLF line using a 5.75" coil might be a better choice for prospecting.

For those who want to learn about PI's and gold, this link will take you to an excellent read:
http://www.nuggetshooter.com/articles/UnderstandingPIdetector.html

I agree with Sven, that the Sand Shark is not the right machine for gold nugget shooting. I have experimented with it in Central Arizona, in both the Weaver and Bradshaw Mountains. I did find a 5.2gram nugget near Cow Creek with it in the Bradshaws, but a Garrett Ace 250 would have found that honker as well. I have used Minelab SD and GPX machines since the late 1990s, and honestly, no other machine can touch the GPX 5000 for gold prospecting of relic hunting. With its new soil timings (pulse delays), filters and noise reduction it is THE Mac Daddy. The Sand Shark is the best PI beach machine on the market today when you consider value, depth, ease of use and warranty, but it is not a gold nugget hunter.

I would like to add to this. 98.5% of the nuggets in the United States are 4 to 7 grain. The 5000 doesn't really do a good job on this small nuggets. Its great for large deep target but not the small stuff that is mostly found in the lower 48. There are still good size nuggets out there. I will challenge anybody who says they find a nugget every time they go out with a metal detector. I would like to see them do it. I am a prospector and been doing for some time.
I am not trying to be a Debby Downer, but this is facts. According to a friend of mine and if I am correct, Arizona Slim knows him as well, he has a 13 acre claim at the bottom of Rich hill. I meet him in March of last year during a documentary we did for the History channel and worked on his claim. He has had his claim at that time for 4.5 years and found 33 nuggets at that time. That's a nugget every 1.6 months. He has been using a VLF machine and works with Chris Gholson who is one of the greatest nugget hunter out there.
I am not adding my signature because these are my opinion's and my experiences not Tesoro's.