Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Saturday gold...

lucar

Hello,

I went down the beach today for a ride with my Surfmaster PI just on time for the 07.00 am low tide.
I made some modifications to my scoop so I was impatient to try it.
I went stright to depth to see how the new scoop handle extension would perform. Works great, the original one was a little short.
I started spotting some coins in a small area and after a while a gold ring appeared in my scoop.. A happy saturday for me!

[attachment 29045 P6100039_resize.JPG]

closeup
[attachment 29046 P6100041_resize.JPG]

Cheers

if so, are they silver? They're awfully clean, how long have they been in the water?

Hello,

that is the one I use on dry sand. I also use it for pictures after having washed out sand and sorted out trash.
Here is my full equip.

[attachment 29050 P5210055_resize.JPG]

Zooming
[attachment 29051 P5210053_resize.JPG]

Cheers

Hello,

yes those are lira coins (I'm in Italy). No it is not silver, believe it or not it is an iron alloy. I think we could build ships with this alloy, it does not oxidize (!!). These were in the water at least since euro introduction 6 years ago. I never found one oxidized lira coin, they always shine like new!
Since I use a PI (no discriminator) I dig them all... They are now worth 5 euro cents each. Italian Central Bank still accepts liras in exchange for euros end this is true till year 2011 so I have to hurry :)

Cheers

Hello,

I got it on ebay.
There is a very similar one on this auction http://cgi.ebay.com/Traveler-2pc-Stainless-Sand-Scoop-for-Metal-Detector_W0QQitemZ7247110819QQihZ015QQcategoryZ310QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Mine is a traveller stainless steel scoop with a two part handle and looks like it's been laser cut. Handle was too short for deep water so I built an inox extension. I also applied a yellow rubber tube to the handle for better visibility in murky waters.

HH

Nice ring. nice coins too. Congrats
do you ever use the plastic scoop in the surf....with diving mask maybe??

Hello,

I'm planning a scuba dive with the plastic scoop and a friend with his Excalibur. We have a theory about where some rings should group in the deeper water.
Actually I'm using it only on dry sand and to wash/photo coins.

HH

I'm still waiting on my SS scoop to be fabricated. Seems like it is taking forever. Until then I'll keep using the PVC contraption I rigged up when I got my Excal at the end of April. It's not much to look at but I'm finding loot with it so who cares, right? (scored ring #11 today)
I'm on my third handle so it's seeing lots of action. The odd thing is that I have to buy shovels and cut the handles off as handles alone cost $24 but long handled shovels only cost $16 and I get a fibreglass handle instead of a wooden one.
That's life on a small island in the middle of the Atlantic Ocean for yah!

Cheers,

BDA:cool:

My SS unit here will be free as I am in the construction business and 1 of my mates is making it for me. Even still, we are stuck waiting on materials.
Soon, I hope.

[attachment 29107 piratedig.gif]

http://www.findmall.com/read.php?26,338057,338057#msg-338057

I decided to go with a variation on the monster scoop 7" SS with 1/2" holes all round.
The scoop you posted is really cool though, and not really that hard to build if you have the equipment - plasma table, tig welder, shear and break.
Time for a walk in the water to see if the surf god left me something last night.

GL Hunting Luca!