Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Saturday Schoolyard Silver

larbear

Got out Saturday for an afternoon hunt. Temps are chilly (highs in the low 30's), but no snow on the ground right now. So I am taking advantage of it and trying to squeeze in a few more dirt hunts before the snow starts coming.

Hunted two school sports fields, very large grassy areas. First school gave me some clad coins, an Academics Excellence pin, a Diabetic tag.

After arriving at the second school, I decided to change some settings on the F70. I left the discrimination at 5, stayed with DE process. I decreased the sensitivity from 51 to 29, and increased the threshold from +1 to +4. More depth was what I was hoping to get with the change in settings. The targets were coming through nice and clear, very crisp audio. I was finding a few dimes and nickels (clad), at 3 inches or less, had the tones at 4H.

About 10 minutes into the hunt, I got a softer sounding signal. It just sounded deeper than what I had been digging, but it was a repeatable signal. Only small fluctuations on the VDI, 73, 75, 76. When I pinpointed, it said 5 inches, so I was very curious to see what was down there at the deeper depth. Turned out to be a nice '45P merc dime. Always nice to be going home with a silver (or gold).

The clad for the day pushed me over the $500 mark for the year, so it was nice to reach that mark before the snow comes and stops the land hunts. Hope you all have a nice holiday season!................Larry

Happy holidays to you and all the rest of the clan here!!! Nice finds Larry! Ground is froze here. HH Rick in mi

Nice merc and it seems to be in perfect condition. 500$ in clad is impressive.

Nice silver again. The one thing I've learned this year about my F5 is how different the deeper coins sound(5" to 8") over the shallower ones and you don't usually get the cross signal just two way signal and lots of times that two way signal will only come in from about a 30 degree window.This year I got three silver coins between 6" and 9" in an area that has been hunted by every detector in WV and I honestly believe this new faint signal method made the difference.

dfmike said:
Nice merc and it seems to be in perfect condition. 500$ in clad is impressive.

Thanks dfmike, she's got some wear on her on the high spots, but it was fun to find her. Isn't it kinda funny how seeing that silver at the bottom of the hole gets our adrenaline going? I've been detecting for a lot of years, but still get that happy feeling when I find another silver!

The 500 clad is my best year. I was trying to break my total from last year (415) and when I matched that I decided to see if I could hit 500. Helps me keep going when the gold and silver isn't cooperating, LOL.

still looking 52 said:
Nice silver again. The one thing I've learned this year about my F5 is how different the deeper coins sound(5" to 8") over the shallower ones and you don't usually get the cross signal just two way signal and lots of times that two way signal will only come in from about a 30 degree window.This year I got three silver coins between 6" and 9" in an area that has been hunted by every detector in WV and I honestly believe this new faint signal method made the difference.

Thanks sl52. Yeah, the deeper ones seem trickier to find. I try to get in a zone, go slow, and listen for the quieter signals. I dug a few signals that didn't sound that great, but they turned out to be good targets. Good luck to you and the bros in '18.