Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Saturdays Diggins

Va Dave

[attachment 27090 DSC01690.JPG][attachment 27091 DSC01679.JPG][attachment 27092 DSC01685.JPG][attachment 27093 DSC01672.JPG]

Thanks for looking and Good Luck in your Digs,
Dave

Great looking plate and relics. Were you hunting plowed fields, or woods? Thats about all we can hunt here since the grass is up so high. Tsgman

Thanks Tsgman,
Don't hunt much woods this time a year, pretty much hit construction and fields. These relics were recovered from a pasture, that once was a major encampment, and appears to be once plowed also. Hope you do as well on your next outing.

Dave

Hey John how ya been, and Thanks....look at em still grinning from the C.S. Tongue.....don't blame ya. Yeah, its my 3rd U.S. Plate this year, the last one I posted here was only a month ago April 5th. Been helping out some newbies and I think I'm being rewarded by the Relic Gods or something, cause 2 plates in a month is rare in our parts nowadays. Hope to see ya at the next event and remember if your coming through the area, look me up.

Dave

Thanks Ron,
This piece was attached at the end of the muzzle of a Confederate Richmond Rifle, the groove on the underside was where the ramrod slid through.

Dave

Hello Dave, nice finds. How deep did you detect those relics? I find the relics from your part of the world fascinating. Keep the pics coming!
HH Angela:)

Va Dave wrote:
>This piece was attached at the end of the muzzle of a Confederate Richmond Rifle, the groove on the underside was where the ramrod slid through.

Dave, my intention is only to be helpful here, because Angela (of Australia) asked "What's a nose-cap?"

For Angela: Here is the correct answer to her question ...and
For Dave: specific identification of the model of cap Dave found.

The proper name for the item is a forestock-cap. It's located at the front-end tip of the gun's wooden stock, not "at the end of the muzzle." (Note that there's still some of the stock's wood preserved inside the cap.) The rounded notch held the ramrod's end "centered" under the gun's muzzle.

Dave's brass forestock-cap is from a British-made Enfiled rifle. You can know this by the two brass attachment-studs inside it. The similar-looking brass CS-made Richmond Rifle's forestock-cap had a single iron attachment stud.

Regards,
TheCannonballGuy