Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Saying Aloha to the Tejon

kittlitz

My slightly-used black Tejon arrived just before our first major blast of winter, so I've been itching to use it for the past two months. A recent vacation to Honolulu gave me a chance to finally try it out.

Overall, I really like it. Gound balancing was not as hard as I'd feared, and the weight wasn't an issue. The "language" of the tone was quite similar to the Mojave's, so I didn't have trouble learning it. I set the primary discrimination to point to the "F" in "Foil", and the alt discrimination to where pull-tabs break up. I'd often use the "Tesoro roll" to get a better idea of what a target was, and found that jewelry and nickels come in pretty solid when rolling down the discrimination knob, whereas foil and iron junk would hiss, pop and crackle.

As expected, the Tejon was too unstable to use on wet salt sand, so I stuck to the dry stuff.

Only a couple of minor disappointments. The machine seems quite susceptible to EMI, of which there was quite a lot due to the big hotel buildings. I found that if I slowed down, though, I had no trouble hearing the real signals over the chatter. And the 8"x11" DD coil, while covering a lot of ground, really loves bottle caps. Quite often, they'd still sound fairly good even at max discrimination. I also found the eliptical coil was a bit hard to pin-point with. Neither problem was much of an issue on the beach, but I think I'll get a concentric coil for hunting where I need to dig plugs.

As for coins, I found 76 coins totalling $8.80, including a Canadian $1, and about twice that much junk. Not a great total for 20 hours of hunting, but the Waikiki beachs are pounded hard.. I often saw other guys out there with detectors, and one guy I talked to said he'd brought three machines with him (!). Given that, it's kind of surprising that some of the coins looked like they'd been in the sand for quite awhile.

As for the jewelry, I found a pair of large rose-gold colored hoop earrings that came in strong between "Iron" and "Foil". No mark on them, though. Ditto a gold chain with a "kind of tacky" (my fiancee's description) cross on it that came in just below the 5-cent mark. The best find was what appears to be a platinum diamond engagement ring, which also came in a bit below 5-cent. I haven't verified that it's real yet, but I'm pretty sure it is.

So finding that ring was very exciting. Almost as exciting as getting the "inbound missile alert" on my phone when I was a good 30-minute walk away from the condo... that's the kind of excitement I can do without. :)

Overall, I had a lot of fun. Now the memories will have to tide me over until the ground thaws. :)

-Ken

Ken,

Good job on the finds!

Pretty ring! Looks like it may have paid for the Tejon!

Personally I've found the Tejon to be very immune to EMI. I have had a couple of times where it was interfered with, mostly directly under power transmission towers and lines. Turning the sensitivity down to 9 would settle it down. I can normally run sensitivity near 10 and often into the red without any indication of interference. I've run it at the beach with the clean sweep coil looking for fresh drops. First time with the clean sweep coil paid for the Tejon and the coil when I was at the Outer Banks and found a nice gold ring. That was several years ago!

Disconnect the coil cable and reconnect it. Make sure it is tight by hand (no pliers please). If EMI issues persist, I'd send it in to be looked at.
Cheers,
tvr

tvr said:
Disconnect the coil cable and reconnect it. Make sure it is tight by hand (no pliers please). If EMI issues persist, I'd send it in to be looked at.

Thanks for the tips! I'll try the machine out at a few locations here when (if) winter ends. The EMI issues seemed limited to specific areas of the beach, so hopefully it'll be a rare occurrence.

-Ken

Nice finds!!
Be sure to let us know what you find out about the ring!!! If it is PLAT and a diamond you really scored there!!