Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Scammer alert!

sgtm8411

Admins- please move this post if there is a better place for it.

There is a guy on Facebook marketplace trying to sell a Troy Shadow X5 for $350 under the facebook name Troy Davis. He will ask you to send cashapp to $TNdigger. Cashapp showed a different name. When I asked him to write his name and today’s date on a scrap of paper and take a pic with it on the detector so I knew it wasn’t a scam he said he didn’t have time for kid games and removed the listing and blocked me. His facebook profile was created in 2020 and only has one photo and zero info about him. Just don’t want anyone getting taken advantage of by this guy.

Attachments

• IMG_4714.png
    IMG_4714.png
    317.3 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_4715.png
    IMG_4715.png
    278.6 KB · Views: 37
There are way to many scammers going on on Facebook, when I am dealing with someone I always ask for a phone number so I can talk to them on the phone a few times before I finally make a deal with someone, if someone is unwilling to give me their phone number then that right there raises a big red flag to me and I cut all communication with the Person

I’ve never been scammed on Finds,but I do go back and look at posts from the person who I’m dealing with. If they’ve been members for 10-20 years there’s a good chance they are stand up detectorists..

Always look at the persons actual facebook profile. Its a very common theme for scammers to have a facebook account that is a year or two old and only has a couple of photos, and thats it. These are long term, professional scammers. They create an account, let it sit for a while, then start using it when they need an account to run a new scam. Also very common is poor english usage, or weird replies/responses to questions, as if they dont understand English as a first language.
Almost every one of them want you to use an instant pay system like zelle, cashapp or paypal friends/family. Ive seen a few where if you say you will pay the payal fees for business services so you have some protection, they respond with "Im having trouble with my account, but I'll give you my wife's account (or daughters account). Not sure how they ever get their money out before a complaint is filed by the buyer as as paypal or your credit card company is going to freeze those funds. Use due diligence, check their profile and ask questions. Talking on the phone can give you a good feel for who they are, or getting their name and a photo next to the machine with todays date is a great suggestion. If they wont accomodate your request, its almost certain they are a scammer. Be safe, happy hunting!

I always look for sellers that have a well established and positively reviewed Marketplace profile. If they don’t they definitely get the hairy eyeball. I do look at their FB profile and the fake ones pretty much jump out at you. Always just a few years old. Posts are frequently just new profile pics and if they have comments to their posts it’s usually single digits. I will almost always ask for a pic of their name or my screen name and the date handwritten on a piece of paper and photographed with the detector. It’s a very easy request and usually will weed out the dickheads that just steal pictures off the internet and create a fore sale post with it. Then always use a form of payment that offers buyers protection just in case all else fails. I have had good luck so far but knock on wood.