Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

scoop handle

patch

hi gang,just ordered my new starv scoop. I'm getting an ash handle.my questions are does it have to be treated ? Im 5' 7'' tall. how long should the handle be from where it goes in the scoop> thank you for your imput.

I've always felt that a good coat of polyurethane seals the wood and keeps it from soaking up water, which helps keep the weight down.

For height it is a personal choice really. I like mine to come up to shoulder height scoop included. Just go with what feels best to you.

When I grid an area of the beach I belt carry the scoop with a tool lasso. It allows the handle to drag in the sand and leave a mark as to where I have been. I tried dragging the scoop and it filled with sand and became very heavy. With the ash handle the scoop will be a bit heavy to carry in your hand.

HH

the handle of the ash is desirable to coat wax (parafin).
this will prevent wetting and no calluses on his hands.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ilVVjs4tQUs

I like ash as well, but the last 2 or 3 have rotted fast inside the tube and snapped off right at the top of the pipe.

i am going on 5 months now using a new hickory one................i am 5ft 7 as well and i like 43 or 44" on length.

some of us have been testing a new carbon fiber scoop handle from stealth..........sunspot tooling - aka chuck madigan in mi..........he makes the stealth scoops and the newer 720i and 790i and offers a 48" carbon fiber handle for them, but the carbon fiber for the stavrscoops are still testing and should be available within 3 to 4 weeks.

is your pipe size 30mm or 32mm ?