Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Scoop handles

rottonr

After breaking my third scoop handle this year, even while being careful , I think I have a good fix. I use a shovel handle I get at the big box home store. After cutting off the to long taper end for a good fit into the scoop I drilled hole 7 inches deep and pound it a piece of steel rod. I then sand the taper end and varnish it to keep it from getting wet for the summer and rotting.

I did this close to the end of this years season on a handle that was broke but to yet in 2 pieces and it's been working great.

I stopped the madness and the weight issues and went carbon fiber. Breaking scoop handles ruins hunts. I drive too far to the beach to allow that to happen. I have an all aluminum RTG in the car just in case something does indeed happen. But that can be a long walk. I'm glad you found something that works for you. Happy hunting.

I use a fiberglass handle that is designed for a post hole digger. I drove a wooden dowel into the hole in it and then shimmed it so that it would fit my scoop. It has withstood 4 years of HARD work and is still going strong. Not exactly light but I carry the scoop on my belt. So the weight is not a real problem.

I use a $15 fiberglass hoe handle with a 2’ hard wood dowel in the bottom....which I’ve been using now for 7 years and I’ve got thousands of hours on it.

goodmore said:
I stopped the madness and the weight issues and went carbon fiber. Breaking scoop handles ruins hunts. I drive too far to the beach to allow that to happen. I have an all aluminum RTG in the car just in case something does indeed happen. But that can be a long walk. I'm glad you found something that works for you. Happy hunting.

Where do you buy them at? I gave up looking for them.

A number of the metal detector sales carry the carbon fiber ones. . Company in Canada makes them.

Question are you using a knock off scoop with a 1" handle hole? I ask that because you have to know what you have to order. Guy i hunted with yesterday uses a wooden handle because he has a knock off Ukraine scoop which has a 1" hole so not much fits it...... down side. 3 1/2 hours in yesterday ..... his handle broke .... just to thin for our conditions it seems. CF is a better choice now days for both weight and durability....... down side price ouch.

Yes it is a cheap knock off with about a 1" hole for the handle. I'm hoping my fix will make it a money saving knock off. Time will tell, come on SUMMER!!!!