Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Scoop project

GeoPa

After pricing some of the stainless long handled scoops, I decided to make my own. I was fortunate enough to get the materials for free. The bucket is 5 inch stainless tubing, it is a little thicker wall than I wanted but hey free is free you know. The only thing I had to buy was the hand grip.

I drilled half inch holes but I spaced them so that I could go larger if need be. I didn't go overboard with the number of holes in case strength was an issue... I can always add more which would in turn reduce the weight.

I've got a lead on some seven inch aluminum tubing so that'll be my next project...

like ones from an old magnetic CB radio antenna or from the base of one of those parts bowls with a magnetic bottom or if you find a large speaker maybe it would work.

Sure beats trying to re-dig (again and again) the same iron/steel item that keeps slipping thru the holes (like bobby pins, post type ear rings, nails, etc.)

Ya done good!

Get a set of the ones used to clean aquarium glass. They cost around $5.00 at Walmart and are super strong and plastic coated.

John

weak spot u may encounter will be at X in the pic here...........my is many years old now and i have had to repair it 4 times in like 12 years..........

your material looks extra heavy, so u might be okay...............

now depending on how thick the handle material is, u may have a weak point at Y ....MAYBE, keep and eye on it when u are pulling back, especially in the real damp sand.

I LIKE IT :) :) :)

GOOD LUCK - POST US UP SOME GOLD LOOT LAYING IN THE BOTTOM SOON

ss is going about 75-80 cents a pound for scrap!! just take back a couple of hundred lbs and by a nice scoop!!

GeoPa,
How and what angle did you decide on for the handle?

Buddy(TX)
PS Wish I had some 5 1/2" stainless tubing around here....Also here in Texas I prefer 9/16" holes on the sides and 1/2" in the bottom.

The wall thickness of the bucket is thicker than I wanted, but it was free. I'm taking it to Belmar Saturday night for it's maiden voyage. This was just a first effort, I'll make any necessary changes on the next one. I think I've located some 7 inch aluminum tube and I'm going to base the second one around that.

This one is heavy but it'll never wear out.

I am a hundred bucks lighter because of MY purchase a couple of years ago. Too bad I never learned how to weld or work with metal, when I was growing up.

A most professional job. <><

aj