Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

scoop

Thound

Just got my RTG-702 sand scoop and boy is it lightly made.It,s for the dry sand but still.Does anyone have experience with this scoop.You know the ad said heavy duty, Hah! Thanks.

We've got two of them. Wife uses one to scoop sea glass and I use one for dry sand and sand tot lots. It is not for wet sand use unless you go very carefully. You don't want to stand on the mesh and you don't want to lever up wet sand, clay and rocks. Get a heavier scoop for the wet and water areas or rocky areas. Works great when used as and where intended. Sifts the scooped up dry sand very quickly.

Thanks tvr,I bought for it's light weight to be used in the dry sand. I guess I'm a lil bothered that the handle is just riveted on

The way the rivets are positioned, you won't pull the flange part of the rivet off; you would need to shear the rivet through it's thickness. They are positioned like retaining pins and the rivets don't take a lot of force during use of the scoop.

I've actually mis-used my scoop a couple times (over it's 4 to 5 year life with me so far) when I just couldn't help myself and went wandering into the wet to detect and dig. The scoop bent in the scoop rim area around where the handle is mounted up. The handle did not deform and the rivets show no signs of getting deformed. I've got it mostly straightened out and continue to use the scoop. It is light and works great in the dry. I really do try to grab one of the big scoops before I go towards the wet sand and water ... just sometimes, when I'm covering the dry and am a ways away from the other scoops and see a nice cut, that wet area just calls to me.
tvr

tvr said:
We've got two of them. Wife uses one to scoop sea glass and I use one for dry sand and sand tot lots. It is not for wet sand use unless you go very carefully. You don't want to stand on the mesh and you don't want to lever up wet sand, clay and rocks. Get a heavier scoop for the wet and water areas or rocky areas. Works great when used as and where intended. Sifts the scooped up dry sand very quickly.

Any reccomendations for a heavier scoop? I need a travel scoop, soon, for hunting in the water

rtg 6" travel scoop and the handle option is a must--i got the aluminum model and i am very happy with it

I have the same travel scoop and the handle wobble drives me nuts! I had to drill through the handle and use stainless bolts to make it bearable.

For a travel scoop with a handle that doesn't wobble as much, I'd go for the Stealth by Sun Spot. I have the 8"... it's a bit heavier but I can make the handle a travel one with a wrench and get rid of the chance for wobble with a wrench as well...

Good luck out there!

badgerd said:
I have the same travel scoop and the handle wobble drives me nuts! I had to drill through the handle and use stainless bolts to make it bearable.

For a travel scoop with a handle that doesn't wobble as much, I'd go for the Stealth by Sun Spot. I have the 8"... it's a bit heavier but I can make the handle a travel one with a wrench and get rid of the chance for wobble with a wrench as well...

Good luck out there!

How do you make the travel handle? They want an additional $110 for a travel handle. After shipping, the scoop is ~$300...wow that's a lot! Maybe it's worth it, though.....

I've got the RTG 6 inch diameter aluminum travel scoop. Also have the non-travel version and a stainless steel scoop that comes out of Michigan and uses a post hole digger handle. For the RTG scoops I use a spray on truck bedliner to paint the handle and get a better grip. The 6 inch travel scoop is RTG part #RTGBBtv6. I just looked and it is $139 on the RTG web page, plus shipping.
tvr

i have. the reillys 709 s/s for travel, unfortunatley the spring clip that joins the two sections together kept coming out i had to join it with s/s bolts ,this is a little uncomfortable on the hands as the shaft slides through. apart from that its a really strong scoop. HH steve

My grab handel is welded solid to the shaft so wobble is no issue at all--it was not even close to 300$ more like 160 total. If you go cheap you will be dissappointed. I bring mine on vacation all the time and i have a smae travel rtg sand scoop with the square mesh that the girlfriend uses for scooping sea shells in the break areas. I put a square mesh at the bottom with a magnat to catch the hairpins and bottle caps--works like a charm.HH

arclyt said:
My grab handel is welded solid to the shaft so wobble is no issue at all--it was not even close to 300$ more like 160 total. If you go cheap you will be dissappointed. I bring mine on vacation all the time and i have a smae travel rtg sand scoop with the square mesh that the girlfriend uses for scooping sea shells in the break areas. I put a square mesh at the bottom with a magnat to catch the hairpins and bottle caps--works like a charm.HH

Which scoop do you have pictured here?