Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Scorpion Is A Good Choice For Meteorite Hunting

John-Edmonton

Staff member
I went and picked up some meteorite fragments last year. These were collected from China, http://www.mindat.org/loc-11478.html Some meteorites are worth a lot more then platinum and are well sought after. The best type of detector for hunting meteorites has always been a gold metal detector. A lot of the other ones simply won't pick them up. The ACE would only pick up a large piece with the sniper coil at about 1/2". The GTI 1500 zero discrimination/standard imaging coil wouldn't pick it up and the GTI 2500 would barely pick it up in true all metal mode/standard imaging coil. but the Garrett Scorpion Gold Stinger gave a nice loud, clear signal 4-5 inches with the standard 5" x 10" DD coil.

So, the Garrett Scorpion Gold Stinger is a gold finder, a coin finder and a meteorite finder too!

Did you know that one of the best places to find meteorites is in a farmers rock pile? He put in all that work gathering those rocks to one central location, and he just might have a nice meteorite sitting in there.

John is correct on those rock piles for meteorites.
When I was younger working on the farms I remember when we picked rocks in the fields we'd come across those real heavy
brown ones with shiny undulated surfaces..
When we threw them on the rock piles they would sound metallic (Hammer on anvil sound )
In those days never associated them to be a meteorite.
Definitely a good location for those finds.

The first two I found were with a scorpion in gold basin arizona

From New Mexico, the Scorp hits on it in disc at 3" and in All metal at 4", it weigh 0.6 gram , or 10 grain, purty small, yeah and that's with the small Scorp coil.
Ya oughta hear it hit on my meteorite that weighs in at 5.33 oz. or151.3 gram, OH YEAH, they gud on meteorites, WOOO Hoooo:detecting: Big -5 x 10 coil hits on it at around 20", they FINE detectors:garrett:

Thanks Bugar! Are you a collector of meteorites? If you don't have a Nanton meteorite, email me you adrress and I'll send you one.

Here's a couple i still got, the university of Miami had them for 2 yrs, cut slices off, and never could tell what metal/iron they were or what planet they came from, the smaller one seems pure steel-or??? the 3 pounder is really weird, looks stone but is iron of some type, got these from a mountaintop around 9,000 ft in New Mexico while relic hunting few years back, I don't actually collect them, it is just that I found them, like most beep and dig things i get or stumble upon, and like alla my stuff, I like em, i gave some to a friend while back.:garrett:

I do but I had a hard time posting them the last time I tried. any help would be appreciated.

I finally figure how to post pictures. The picture on the left is the meteorites I found with the scorpion. The one on the right is all of my meteorite finds the largest being 474 grams, the smallest is 2.6 grams, the one on the necklace. Thanks for looking.

n/t