Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

SCORPION QUESTION

moondog2000

My scorpion video & book do not say a lot about the TR setting. When I am coin & relic hunting I want the most depth I can get and I am wondering what TR has to offer & how would I set it up, does it need to be ground balanced.I dig some deep targets in all metal mode & motion mode worked great at the beach. I just read that TR stands for transmit- recieve so I started thinking am I missing out on an important setting I don't know much about. If anybody has any knowledge about TR I would love to learn all I can about it. thank you Mike

TR is another mode for pinpointing and it's for ore sampling and testing for hot rocks. You can not ground balance in this mode.

Bill

TR or Transmitter-Receiver: Term describing method of operation of early detectors. Some manufacturers still produce this type of detector. Electromagnetic field distortion caused by mineralized ground interferes with depth penetration as this type of detector does not ground compensate. It does balance conductive salt water effects so, it is primarily used in salt water and on low mineral salt water beaches or low mineral inland locations.

The TR mode is mostly used for ore identification. Don't expect great depth with a TR. It's a non-motion mode The mode you want to hunt with on the Garrett Scorpion is the motion auto discrimination or manual (ground balanced) mode. The TR mode uses the calibration points around the discrimination knob, which the operator must learn on its own. The TR mode gives a much more accurate reading for ferrous/non ferrous material. It works in conjunction with the discrimination knob, hence, in the TR mode, the further clockwise you turn it, the more conductivities are knocked out. Also, the mode is depth sensitive....if you are running samples of rocks over the coil, it is best to keep the coil stationary, say..... planted on a tree stump, and move the samples over the coil at the same distance over the coil. If you are using it on the ground, it is best to scrub the coil over the on the ground, so both the motion discriminate and TR mode are the same distance from the target being tested.

A favorite discriminating technique is what is termed as "reverse discrimination." This technique can be used with all analogue VLF/TR detectors. Search in the VLF all-metal mode and when a target is discovered, pinpoint it to the exact center and place the coil on the soil at that exact point. Without moving the coil, switch the mode to TR and lift the coil from the the soil. If the audio remains the same or decreases you have a good target.

Hope this helps. Most people don't utilize this mode. It's probably faster to just dig the questionable target, unless you are in an area prospecting with a lot of hot rocks.

Thank you for taking the time to answer my question. Untill now I was never 100% sure about TR. I orignaly bought my wife & I scorpions for prospecting in AZ. she had trouble ground balancing so I bought her a whites gmt. In a comparison test I marked an area and searched it with the gmt and dug a little trash at 2-4" . then I searched with the scorp and dug a lot a lot of trash at 8-10" .the only problem with the scorp is that it won't sound off on my smallest test nugget. we have not found any nuggets yet so it will be interesting to see who scores the first nugget. Mike