Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Scorpion troubles

darinwc

So I'm new to the scorpion.. I found a few pennies on my first run.
But yesterday I tried manually ground balancing.. what a pita.

So I went through the steps of gound balancing and thought I had it good. But it was still making a bunch of noise randomly.
One thing I noticed is that touching the bottom of the coil would make it sound.
is this normal?

hey if its to much to ask do you have a cam? is it possible that you make a video of how to ground balance the scorpion, i know the steps, maybe i am making something wrong but i just cant get it balanced, a know there's a video, but its just to poor.

and one more thing, what are your thoughts about the scorp?

jajaja last thing, explain your self on this (One thing I noticed is that touching the bottom of the coil would make it sound.
is this normal) :super: HH

GB is tricky, I can't explain it very well but can do it, maybe John Edmanton can help you out, he's better at explaining things than i am.

Constant noise on the coil or just a beep? Were you wearing a ring or watch? When you wetre ground balancing the machine, did you make sure you weren't trying to ground balance it over some iron in the ground.

But did you get it ground balanced? You didn't mention that....

The scorpion is very sensitive and can respond to the salt in your hand and fingers when the sens is set at the prefered setting.
Tapping the coil can produce noises that come from movement between the coil and the coil cable where it enters the coil, it is able to detect the coil cable no probs at all if there is any sort of a loop or bend in the cable at that point, there will be because you have to leave some slack to allow the cable to flex if the coil tilts.
You can check for elec interference by holding the detector horizontal with the coil out in front and vertical to the stem, with detector 4 or 5 foot of the ground and at least 10 feet from any metal, then sweep the coil through 360 degrees in a large circle and listen for any changes in the random noises; if they are loudest in one particular direction then you have elec interference in which case you will have to lower the sensitivity setting or move to another area free of interference.
If it is sounding off very loud then there may be a problem in the coil (try another coil if possible)
If the sounds are loud and random then make sure you are away from electrical interference..... Also check all of the battery contacts and wires for bad contact. Moving the coil cable with your fingers where it enters the coil housing will normally cause some sound that should be smooth as you move the cable; If it is sudden and chattery then there may be a bad screen or wire in the cable; Squeeze the coil cable all the way along from the coil to the control box and listen for any sudden noises that might indicate a bad wire in the cable. Check that the coil plug is tight at the control box; Check the male and female pins in the plug and socket for tightness and straightness.

If all else fails to solve the problem then you could suddenly and severely, wrap her around a tree....That usually will quieten most detectors rather well.:yikes:

OK-Try this- switch to all metal, sens/power all the way/max, find an area that you get no signal, then ground balance, when you get this done, your'e in good shape, do not be selfish on turning the knobs,, you may need to make as many as 4 or 6 turns, to get the GB where it should be,(sounds like your'e way off) many folk think a 1/4 turn or so will get you into the area, , NO, just work it out get the GB, then you willl be doing fine and usually hardly have to do very much re-adjusting unless a whole different ground area,:garrett:

gb on this unit is a walk in the park !