Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

SD2200d vs. other PI's

A

Anonymous

From what I've read and heard from others, there seems to be a righteous following for the SD2200 on the beach as a beach detector that gets incredible depths. Can anyone contrast how the SD does compared to other PI's available on the market? So far all I've heard is hype. My assumption that an SD should be able to do about as well as any _reasonably_ good PI, but the hype suggests otherwise.
Eric, I think you've reviewed the SD and how your Deepstar compares favorably to it. Does the SD fall into the high-power PI segment, or do they get their depth from other magic (I understand that without knowing the circuitry this is asking for conjecture) :)
Thanks...

I'm not the expert on beach hunting, but I did get to use my new Garrett Sea Hunter Mk2. It's a PI detector. I tried the new levels of trash discrimination and I believe a lot of junk was notched out. Nothing spectacular in the way of finds. It was a little challenging juggling the big sand scooper, the detector, and fighting the waves. I had to get out there even if the conditions were not great. I did like the way the signals come through, clear and distinct. I lowered discrimination to get pull tabs and found them 2-6 inches. I came back excited about the Sea Hunter, and I believe it will bring in the good finds. This is not a very professional appraisal of the machine, nor do I have enough information to draw a difinitive conclusion, but based on my first use I think it will hold it's own against the other majors.

I know a detectorist using a SD2100 and have seen his finds in a display case. Many old gold rings, a few bracelets, chains and religious crusifixes found in the hardpan dry sand layers of an old beach. He worked up near cliff areas where some of the historical, turn of the century hotels, still stand. He left his scoop at home and dragged around a round point shovel to dig with. A lot of old iron and deep trash still there, but his finds make it look like his time was well spent. From what I hear on the SD2200d, the detector detects deeper in all metal than the descriminator circuit side will give accurate readings on. So eventually you still have to dig some of that deep junk.---Rick

Hi Jeff,
The SD2200 would definitely fall into the high power class. After all it does draw nearly 0.75A from the battery. Its performance is similar to the Deepstar when using the same size coil. Although the SD is basically a nugget hunter it is just as good for gold rings but will not perform any better on small items, thin chains etc, than the Deepstar or other PI's. The equivalent sampling delay on the SD is no less than 15uS as measured from the coil response. The main problem with the SD's is that it is risky using the standard coils on the wet sand or on the waters edge. I know of a few that have leaked and once salt water gets in, the coil is a write off. I do however manufacture fully waterproof open ring coils for the SD in 11in and 8in sizes. The other factor to take into account with the SD as purely a beach machine is price.
Eric.