Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

SE finds

Ironhearted Gog

I thought I would share with you all, a person first for me, the recovery of my first milled coin of Elizabeth I. It is a threepence dated 1562 (Spinks 2604.)

This is one of the earliest British coins produced with the screw press introduced by Eloye Mestrelle in 1561. Eloye Mestrelle, a French man, was resented by the mint workers producing hammered coins because his machinery was perceived as a threat to their future employment. Mestrelle was soon dismissed, and turned to counterfeiting, for which he was hanged in 1578. Milled coins were not minted again until the reign of Charles I in 1631.

This coin was found on the contruction site with a Minelab Explorer SE.

For 440 years old, it's in nice shape. Great find and good story. Ron

That sure would be a fun Coin to dig! I think I would mess myself if I dug something that old and in that kind of condition. WTG! Is there a stated Mintage of this Coin known? Hope you find more Oldies like that one and Good Luck and HH.:clapping::thumbup:

Found in England... I don't think anyone knows the actual mintage, but the smaller milled denominations are quite rare.

Ironhearted Gog,

What a great find!!! I keep thinking about that coin and just wanted to congratulate you again on such an awesome find.

Steve