Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

SE pro coil question.

Josey Wales

I'm having a hard time trying to like this pro coil, I want to but its difficult. Sometimes I wonder maybe if its just operator error? Ever since buying the Sunray X-5 (I love this coil) I have a hard time running my pro coil and don't have much confidence with it. My son made a test garden the other day, and I was really surprised at what I found out. 8 inch silver dime, I could just barely get a hit on my pro , and I had to put it in manuel sensitivity, couldn't hear a peep in auto, even after cranking it up to auto 32. Also tried putting deep on, still nothing! I know they were freshly buried coins, but here is the funny part, put my X-5 on and the dime sang silver even in semi-auto! Couldn't believe it!I have found some wheaties at 7 or 8 inches with the pro coil. Just a couple of days ago, found one at around the 8 inch mark, but could just barely get a signal, almost didn't dig it! Should I be able to get better depth? I would just leave the X-5 on all the time, but ground coverage is a issue. Thought about buying the Sunray 8 inch coil and using it as my every day coil or maybe even the 12 inch. Anyway just thought I would post my concerns. Thanks and happy hunting!

Josey --

I'm not "in love" with the Pro coil, either. Nothing stands out about this coil, to me. Lots of people rave about it, but I don't see the fuss. It's a fine coil, but I have used other coils on other machines that I like MUCH better. Since confidence is a big deal in my opinion when running your machine, I'd stick with the coils you feel work best for you. The SunRay coils are highly thought of, also, and so maybe another, larger one might be good for you. I know this is not much help, but I am in agreement with you with respect to the Pro coil -- it's find, but I don't think it's "great."

By the way, while I am not surprised that you could barely get a peep on your 8" dime with the Pro coil, I am SHOCKED that you "nailed" it with the x-5. I just bought a 6x8 SEF coil, and it is about 2" shallower than my Pro coil. If you have a 5" that is exceeding the depth you are getting with the Pro coil, I am both shocked, and intrigued...

Steve

I may be missing coins with my pro coil, but I am finding all of the other ones with it also.

Just purchased the 10 X 12 SEF....hope to have it in a few days !

Coil are like machines.... depends on the type of soil you are trying to use them in. They are also affected by settings and EMI heard or not. In new test gardens you might as well be air testing because the Exps DONT like loose soil and like some machines try reading the HOLE rather than the target if there is a different soil make up. I like performance.... and just havent seen a difference between the two... so for me it was the price. I think the Pro is a bit more likely to catch on things and pick up dirt on the bottom worse than the SEF. The explorers dont like space between the coil and soil either they tend to loose the target or dont compensate as well as some other machines.

Dew

I agree Dew...and I am certainly not expecting miracles from the 10X12. Just trying a different coil for my own amusement. The Pro coil has more than exceeded my expectations. Maybe I am hoping that the pinpointing is a little better with the 10X12...otherwise I hardly use it at all, except as another way to determine what the target might be before I dig.

As far as test gardens go....in my yard I can cut a plug and the whole plug, dirt and all comes out. So there is no loose soil to contend with. I may have to create a test garden, as I think I have the best possible soil consistency for it.