Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

SE Pro goes crazy for concrete

Hello,

Has anyone else noticed this phenomenon? My SE Pro starts going crazy in certain areas when it gets close to concrete or curbs. It doesn't happen all the time, and it can be operating normally on a spot on the same street and then bananas a few feet away. This continues even when I've lifted the coil a few feet off the ground. I've ruled out interference from overhead or underground power lines, and the issue continues even after I hit noise cancel several times. I'll move the detector away and its back to normal. I first noticed this while hunting in my own yard next to my own driveway. I live in Illinois, so I was thinking it could be related to road salt. Or it could be an odd spot that focuses interference in some way, but that seems unlikely. Any thoughts?

Maybe there is iron "rebar" in the concrete at certain spots??

There is definitely some rebar in the driveway, but could that be affecting the detector even though I'm a few feet away?

Rob, both my Explorer SE and Whites MXT will go wild within 3 feet of some sidewalks. I'm sure it's rebar too, as well as some having metal framing along the sides.

Hank, thanks for confirming. I going to try dialing up the iron mask in spots where I think there might be some good targets to see if that helps.

Update: So I tried a number of changes to get the SE stable around concrete, and sensitivity of 6-7 seems to eliminate interfere. I have yet to make any finds with this setting but the test garden show it will spot a silver dime and penny at 6 inches.

Competent sidewalk installers use Rebar and your unit is powerful and picking up the rebar no matter where its in the walk. Might try a small coil or perhaps a less powerful unit with a small coil...

something else to think about is that the rebar can also change the i.d. never used my explorer close to a sidewalk yet but i found some quarters with the t-2 that would almost always read 88-89 but these were reading 85-86. i didn't get any signal from the rebar but it did throw the i.d. off.