Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Sea Hunter Mark 11????

Robert2300

WHO uses the Sea Hunter?

I watched the Garrett video: normal trash elimination and discreet. Which do
you find works the best?

Usually one would dig all targets BUT does one really miss much by NOT
digging all targets and using the Trash elimination setting?

Since I don't swim and will not be going into the water and that includes even
waste deep, would I not be better off using a VLF detector as opposed to PI?

Robert2300

Ah! The age old question! Did I miss gold?:shrug:

Just depends on your area/strategy/scoop speed ability...using the info in your post, I'd say you are right on your thinking..VLF is fine for what you do...lots of gold and good finds shallow if a guy moves fast and hits the fresh drops hard... the dedicated PI guys are Pros that really work an area long, trying to glean the tiny whispers of deep stuff the VLF guys cant hear and miss...VLF speed sweeping in disc is a skill in its own right though,...just depends on what tool and hunting style you prefer...You would probably do well with either though, since you dont really swim or wade deep...you may find a PI more to your liking working the deep signals at the edge? Maybe not...I dont know...I like VLF and fast gunning generally, but thats what seems to work here, in fresh water and a short season.

Biggest thing to success for either group is finding the gold bearing cut, and being the first one it it, at least for me and my area it is..:clapping:...most gold chains hit in wire/foil/trash/tab. Prob more important to be able to read a beach right, and be spry, fast and addicted, than the gear used for this kind of work..:shrug:
Mud.

Disc. is not a PI,s strong point, yes it will work if fairly shallow but mostly fails as target go's deeper, depth is why you

choose a PI for in the first place. Most people choose a PI for use on the beach where you have less trash that what

is normally found in parks or school yards, or old home sites and the like. Because the Disc. control on the SH 11 is

not a notch type where you can eliminate a single idem ( like ring tabs or screw caps , etc. ) where you set the

control on it you eliminate that item and every thing else under it that can include nickels, some rings, and a host of

other items that you don't want to. PI's LOVE iron in every shape and size known to man so you don't want to use one

in an area that has lot's of it. PI's are a poor choice for someone new to detecting, due to these and other factors.

Better off by far to stick with a VLF machine that will go almost as deep and has much better disc.

I have a SH11 and never use the disc. control on it due to the above.

. I would almost certainly recommend a vlf instead of a p.i. unit if that's the only detector your going to use. There are some beaches that a p.i. unit are nightmare to use, lots of iron etc.

i use the seahunter 2 with the 2 coils. i only do wet sand and very shallow water--3 hours before low to a bit after low tide. i also use a limbsaver as the unit gets heavy quick.

coils--the 8 inch is easier to zero in and the 14 inch goes deeper but is harder to find the target.

as far as discrimination--forget it--just run the unit. after a while, you'll recognize some discrete differences in signal sounds. loud--shallow/big, double beep--bobbie pins.

you will also recognize sink patterns of different metals--heavy stuff goes deep quick (rings, coins), pull tabs, bobbie pins, paper clips, sparkler remnants--stay high.

don't be afraid to dig-you'll never know what it is till you do--and i use a mud shovel--much easier to carry around, digs deeper/faster.

I agree with d-tex, gamiller2, and kimbershot: The discrimination on that will not be like discrim. on a VLF. If you're on a beach that has lots of nails, you're not going to like the pulse's idea of "discrimination". And today's VLF machines have pretty much closed the gap on depth (unless you're talking insane nugget machine pulses or something). So about the only benefits then to beach pulses, is if you're talking whispy dainty tinsel thin chains, or earing studs, etc.... Another benefit is if the soil is super mineralized, then a pulse also shines.

But all in all, I'd go with a standard VLF (or MF, etc...). Because if you start running into lots of paper clips, safety pins, nails, bread-twisty ties, etc.... you're gonna be wishing you had a standard machine. Just depends on the beach though. If your beach is truly touristy clean, and upscale enough that you *really* suspect your missing dainty thin chains...... then .... well .......