Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Sea Hunter Mk II brackets will not fit

nonrev321

Hello,
Recently purchased a Garrett Sea Hunter Mk II. When attempting to mount the head unit to the shaft I could not draw it in tight enough to use the nylon bolts/washers/nuts. I have the R & L sides correct. Iy is correctly slotted into the head unit where its supposed to go. Problem is when trying to draw the brackets together enough to insert the nylon bolt and nut, I can't draw them together enough to get more than a turn or two on the nut. It appear the curvature on the bracket does not fit the head unit correctly. Has anyone else experienced this?

Thanks
nonrev321

Attachments

• detector 2.jpg
    detector 2.jpg
    35.4 KB · Views: 135
The unit looks used? I believe there is supposed to be a nylon washer between the metal ears and rod (on both sides) to maintain a nice secure fit without bending the ears.

Last edited:
Hi, there is supposed to be a nylon washer between the bold head and bracket and between nut and bracket but as can be see, there would be zero thread available if the washers were put on. Note I am squeezing the brackets as tightly together as I can. I tried putting the washers inside next to the shaft but still couldn't tighten the nut enough to cinch the washers up to the shaft. The washers just spun on the nylon bolt. It got to where I was concerned about stripping the nylon bolt or breaking the Head Unit. The correct assembly can be seen in a Garrett assembly video on their web page for the Sea Hunter. Mine is no where near what they show on the video as far as how close the brackets are to the shaft. Thanks!

When I received this I noted that the brackets looked a bit banged up also and it made me wonder a bit but everything else was packed and wrapped as new in sealed bags

See attachment. Squeezing the brackets as tightly together as I can there is 1 5/16 distance between the bracket ends. The threaded section of the bolt is 1 1/2 inches long. If the washers are used there is only one turn of thread available for the nut to turn on.

Attachments

• detector 3.jpg
    detector 3.jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 118
  • detector 4.jpg
    detector 4.jpg
    13.9 KB · Views: 119
Last edited:
Hello,
Recently purchased a Garrett Sea Hunter Mk II. When attempting to mount the head unit to the shaft I could not draw it in tight enough to use the nylon bolts/washers/nuts. I have the R & L sides correct. Iy is correctly slotted into the head unit where its supposed to go. Problem is when trying to draw the brackets together enough to insert the nylon bolt and nut, I can't draw them together enough to get more than a turn or two on the nut. It appear the curvature on the bracket does not fit the head unit correctly. Has anyone else experienced this?

Thanks
nonrev321
Both the control housing and brackets taper from front to back so narrow part of brackets should be towards back of housing.

Both the control housing and brackets taper from front to back so narrow part of brackets should be towards back of housing.

Hi, I have the R & L sides in the correct location. If they are on the wrong sides the bracket tabs where the bolts go are not parallel to the shaft. If the bracket is further away from the shaft at the front and wider at the rear how are the same length nylon bolts used? You would need a longer one where it tapers away from the shaft. I double checked everything using the Garrett "How to video" on their web page, the video "Sea Hunter Ass'y". At the link below. Note at the 1min 25 sec mark. I can not get my brackets anywhere near this close to the shaft. Note that the bracket is parallel to the shaft, not tapered. This can best be seen at the 1:38 mark. See photo. This is as close as they get.

Thanks

Attachments

• detector 4.jpg
    detector 4.jpg
    13.9 KB · Views: 121
Hi, Realized I poorly described the taper thing above. A picture is worth a thousand words. In Taper 1 you can see the taper you are talking about. If I put these brackets on the detector head so the bracket taper matches the detector head taper I end up with whats shown in Taper 2 photo. The bolts are not long enough. In fact though I suspect the brackets are out of specification and not fabricated correctly. Thanks

Attachments

• taper 1.jpg
    taper 1.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 119
  • taper 2.jpg
    taper 2.jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 117
Hello,

Thanks
nonrev321
This will solve the issue. I installed the Sea Hunter on my Anderson rod this way. Also works great on the factory shaft as well.

All The Best,
Bill G

Attachments

• B84354B5-1F1D-4F74-940A-6933EA1B530C.jpeg
    B84354B5-1F1D-4F74-940A-6933EA1B530C.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 136
  • 469B5BF8-82E7-467C-AFF6-7769096E89F0.jpeg
    469B5BF8-82E7-467C-AFF6-7769096E89F0.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 126
  • 317FF53F-9BDD-4321-8435-8F79661B4C3C.jpeg
    317FF53F-9BDD-4321-8435-8F79661B4C3C.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 124