Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Sea hunter or tdi sl

I am going to buy one of these detectors and would like to hear from people who have used one or both. It will not be used in salt water or fresh water, only on land. I have zero experience with either one. Only what I have seen or read on the internet. the sea hunter with 10 x 14 coil and tdi with 12 inch coil. Which one in your opinion is easier to use. And which one goes deeper. Would you consider them the same on depth. Where I hunt there is not a lot of of trash targets. I know that the ATX or a Minelab would be the choice if money was of no matter, but in this case it is. I have watched videos and still am not leaning one way or the other. Any advice would be appreciated, thanks.

Whites TDI SL for land including gold prospecting where the ability to ground balance is vital.

Garrett Sea Hunter MK II for beach/water hunting and areas where no Ground Balance is required.

It is the area to be searched that dictate what detector and settings to use.

Compare above detectors to a Whites TDI Beach Hunter.

I have one of each as I do both water hunting and gold prospecting ..... for you I would point to the TDI SL as it has the largest choice of coils available.

The Tdi not only has a ground balance, it will ignore nails and, will give you identification of high conductors vs low by tone. The pulse delay is an added feature that can help in other ways.
And it can be run with ground balance off.
(It is a factory version of Eric Foster's Goldscan-5, and Eric worked with Whites in designing it.)
It also has access to many more loops. Garrett ceased production on the Seahunter which is a 80's design.
Of the two the Whites is deeper and more versatile.
With either a lot of trash is a big problem, but in really bad ground a PI will do things a VLF cannot.
(you never said what you are hunting or what the ground is like)
I'd pm John-Edmonton here at Finds (he handles the Garrett Forums) and/or, google search Steve Herschbach about advice.
You mentioned videos; you might check this one out:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uNTpE6a9uJM

Thanks for the help I appreciate it. I am mainly hunting hillsides in Oklahoma. They are mostly clay type soil underneath. It drives vlf machines crazy, but only in specific spots. Looking for a specific cache which I expect will be 2, 3 or 4 feet deep. Probably around three would be my best guess. A friend let me use his old Garrett recon and I could easily see the difference between it and a vlf. If the recon said there was a target there, there was one there. No falsing. But with the 8 inch coil it's just not deep enough. That's why I am asking about these two detectors to know which one is deeper or are they about the same on depth.

You can get loops up to 20", DD & mono foe the Whites too--plenty of absolute depth.

I found an older tdi for what I thought was an ok price. So I bought it. Do you guys think it's ok? One reason I got it is because you can put bigger coils on it.