Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Sea Hunter Threshold Tone

Lost&Found

I've been MDing since 1974, but always with a VLF detector. I live on the Gulf Coast and do a lot of saltwater detecting using an Equinox, which works perfectly. However I thought I would like to try a PI detector. So I purchased a Sea Hunter Mark 2. In Standard mode, the threshold tone is very unstable, even set on zero. In Discrete mode the threshold is very stable and normal. My question: "Is the unstable tone in Standard mode normal, or is the detector defective?"

That's how mine did, and some suggested I turn up discrimination up some to stop it .

I use the SH quite a bit. If you are using the hip mount then movement of the coil cable can fluctuate the threshold.
I use the 10x14 coil for beach combing and it is very sensitive so much so that I need to drag my scoop well behind me as it will start to pick up on it making the threshold rise and fall. Shoes you wear can also effect it especially if you have steel tips.

Minor fluctuations in threshold is normal but you can easily distinguish that from a target even a distant target. If you have a fluttering then there may be some EMI in the areas. EMI will be worse if you hold the coil up.

Swinging the coil and skimming the ground will help minimise EMI as well as give you the maximum depth. I see people with machines with coils well off the ground. In the case of a PI you want to keep that coil loaded. Air test depth is pale in comparison to actual field use especially in wet sand.

I took an old shaft system I put together from different machines and mounted the control box under the cuff and have it just slightly nose heavy to keep the coil down. This makes it very easy to swing and control. Was never a fan of the stock shaft system as it is wobbly.

Attachments

• IMG_2446.JPG
    IMG_2446.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 91