Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Sealing a coil cover

doc holiday232 said:
Question: Do you ever seal your coil covers and if so what sealant do you use?

Not on the open frame coils, there is to many gaps and corners. What I did to the open frame (spider coil) was I just removed the cover and brushed on a couple of coatings of the slower set clear epoxy.

Now for the boxed housed coils I did seal them and I found that the same slower set epoxy works really well for sealing them. I applied it by taking something like a wooden match stick and trimming one end to the shape of a little paddle,
Then I just dipped and spread it along the seam and it will lay out perfect.
I did this after the covers were installed.

Mark

doc holiday232 said:
Thanks MarkCZ---what name is the slow set epoxy you use.

What I used was a Hardware House Brand, (ACE) so I don't know who made it. I'm going to say that about any brand would work, just look for one that gives you 15 minutes or so of working time, the 5 minute ones firm up to fast to use on that long of a seam.

Mark

Not me! I have been detecting since 1971 and I have hunted hard. I have put scratches on some of the older coils but the Fisher coils, and most others are tough! I do not use a coil cover. I have been using my F75 since 2008 and the bottom of the coil looks great. Others will say to use one. but for me, at least on the Fishers, I do not. I might for some of the epoxy filled, open types of coils, I might. If you use a coil cover, I would not recommend epoxy. Just clean it out often. The crap that gets in there makes your detector go nuts.

James/Texas said:
Not me! I have been detecting since 1971 and I have hunted hard. I have put scratches on some of the older coils but the Fisher coils, and most others are tough! I do not use a coil cover. I have been using my F75 since 2008 and the bottom of the coil looks great. Others will say to use one. but for me, at least on the Fishers, I do not. I might for some of the epoxy filled, open types of coils, I might. If you use a coil cover, I would not recommend epoxy. Just clean it out often. The crap that gets in there makes your detector go nuts.

And what's your reason for not using epoxy to seal the coil covers on boxed coils?, I mean if you ever wear through or crack the cover you can peel the on one off and replace it, its only sealed at the seam on the outside.

I agree that the bottoms of the risen filled coils really don't need a coil cover other than the looks of it as far as scratches and scuff. But the wire coils are glued in at the very top of the coil frame, so there is like 3/8" of resin before you ever get to the winding's, unlike the plastic hollow boxed coils.

Mark

I just do not like coil covers. That is all. I meant no harm in my post, just my opinion and what works for me. I am not saying you or no one shouldn't use one or epoxy the coil cover on. It is your detector, do as you want. I tried to use them and I was getting sand in them and causing a noisy detector. The first couple of times it happened, it liked to have driven me crazy. As I said in my post, I have never had a problem with a coil going bad from use. The F75 I have been using since 2008 never has had a coil cover on it and it looks as good as new. The materials they use are tough!

James/Texas said:
I just do not like coil covers. That is all. I meant no harm in my post, just my opinion and what works for me. I am not saying you or no one shouldn't use one or epoxy the coil cover on. It is your detector, do as you want. I tried to use them and I was getting sand in them and causing a noisy detector. The first couple of times it happened, it liked to have driven me crazy. As I said in my post, I have never had a problem with a coil going bad from use. The F75 I have been using since 2008 never has had a coil cover on it and it looks as good as new. The materials they use are tough!

James, its okay! you stated Not To Epoxy a coil cover and I just thought you had encountered a problem doing it of some sort.

I don't like the coil covers that are used on the open frame (spider coils) because the are so many sharp corners to form them around that even sealing them would be difficult! So, for these coils I either run them without a cover because the resin fill used in them is SO THICK that's its not going to ware through for sure.

Now, on the hollow boxed coils I could see a cover protecting them a little more, they have a really easy seam to work with, they are either oval or plain round. So, my little 6.5" Football coil pictured has a sealed on cover.

They are LOT of folks like James that just don't use coil covers at all and they have good reason other than just scratch protection.

I replied to this thread because of its title "Sealing A Coil Cover" so I posted what I had done and some pictures of the finished product.
The pictures of the 11" DD coils also showed how I seal the seams on the heal cap, its an earlier version coil before the factory started applying external sealer to them.. And as an experiment I brushed on a couple of coats of epoxy to its bottom, but I don't see that as necessary, but optional.

Mark

Mark I appreciate your how to--went to the local Ace and got me a tube of 15 minute apoxy--am going to seal my concentric,but not the Nel Sharpshooter.