Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

sealing holes in underwater hosuings

A

Anonymous

This is a bit off subject but is related to underwater metal detector housings. I have an ikelite video camera hosuing designed for a Sony camera with knobs and levers I do not need. I want to remove them which will leave holes (4) clear through the housing. What is the best way to permanently seal these holes? The housing is a polycarbonate plastic case. This is a rather urgent query and I have received no response from Ikelite company.

Hi James,
Are you sure it is polycarbonate? The Ikelite housings I use are acrylic and pvc solvent cement works on it. I have a hole in one that I want to plug and I am going to machine a mushroom shaped pvc (no acrylic rod) plug and cement it into the hole with the head outside. I tested a small area on the base of an old housing to see if pvc cement worked first. If you put a tiny drop on and it eats into the surface, then you know it will stick.
Eric.

Eric: this was cut and pasted from the Ikelite website (www.ikelite.com):
Ultra compact new housing is molded of corrosion free clear polycarbonate and operates safely to 200 feet.
Would some type of expanding foam or rubber plug inserted into the hole and then covered over inside and outside by a sealant (we have something here in the US called JB Weld which is a cold weld mixture that hardens like steel) work???

Hi James,
What is the diameter of the hole and is it plain or threaded? Also, how thick is the housing?
Eric.

Good point, can you thread the hole, then plug it with a screw? I would coat the threads too, maybe use auto gasket sealer.

The housing is 3/8" thick. The four holes are smooth bore, not threaded and are slightly smaller than the diameter of a pencil. The holes are the result of removing O ring sealed levers that controlled various camera functions, either by sliding back and forth or moving up and down.

Thanks for the advice but Ikelite recommends leaving the knobs in place if at all possible and working around them. Then if I absolutely need to remove a knob they suggest inserting into the hole a special bolt they make with an "o" ring under the head-you just lock it down on the inside with a wing nut.