Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

searching

Sonora70

All,
I'm new to the forum and pretty new to detecting. I've had a detector for a few years but have basically only used it on a track of land I have digging up trash. I've purchased a new detector and really getting the interest in finding civil war relics. I live in centraly KY and I know there were a lot of soldiers and activity in our area. My question is this: How do I find areas to detect? I know a couple places that very common knowledge to everyone, basically they are hunted to death. I spent all day detecting this past saturday and found 1 fired bullet and a piece of another bullet. I see gentleman on this forum and on videos that make finding bullets look easy. Again, any advice on finding places to detect would be much appreciated!

BTW: I have ordered the War of the Rebellion disks to try to figure some places, however not getting much from those either.

Sonora70,

Try to find places where civil war roads once ran. Some modern roads replaced older roads, but some abandoned civil war roads just look like slight cuts in the forest. Suprisingly if you compare maps with old roads on them, you can sometimes see where that road remains with modern satellite technology. Also, try to find any skirmishes in the area. Even small skirmishes with few casualties had many bullets fired and dropped. This may take some hours of research, but that is necessary to maximize time spent in the field. Digging trash is the curse of every metal detectorist. The other day I spent about three hours at a colonial house site and dug over 30 nails, and 20 other pieces of trash just to find two flat buttons, and two shoe buckles.

I am fairly new to civil war detecting as well, but I am in a good location here in central Maryland. I have found that colonial sites at least here in Maryland also contain civil war relics because these sites were used during that time for housing, hospitals, etc. Obviously any place where water runs near old buildings is good too. Hope this helps you a little bit. Good luck out there!

~ Justin G.

Any town in your area that was there during the CW? Find the old roads leading out of town. Most camps were on the average 10 miles from town, because that was considered a days march for the troops. 10 miles out plus a water source and you have conditions for a good campsite. It could be plus or minus a few miles. Then remember every 10 miles on down the road would be the same.........Mark

An excellent book ...... http://www.pochefamily.org/Books/findingcwcamps.htm

The guy from Amazon who did the review on this book quoted a 12.95 price, but when I looked at this book about a year ago, seems like it was more. I will check it out because I struggle quite a bit with my research and anything that will help me is worth the price they ask. I had forgot about this book and thanks for jogging my feeble memory.

I concur on the Poche et al books. He has a series of 3. I have 2 of the 3. Finding the old roads is the key. See if you can locate old county atlases and plat maps. Even ones dated in the 1870's will still clue you in on where the old roads were.

It is also good to find local historians. They are knowledgable, and love talking about the history. Research, research, research. Good hunting.