Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Second coil for Arkansas back country?

parkgt

I am getting ready to order a 705. I will get the 6" 18.75 DD for all the usual reason.

Is the soil here in the rocky back country mineralized enough to make the Gold Pack 5" by 10" 18.75 DD a benefit over the standard 9" 7.5 concentric?

I will eventually by more coils but i want to get some flexibility with two to start.

I do not know about your soil but here in kentucky I like the 9 inch stock coil better. Oh and welcome to the forum.

Welcome to the Xterra, and the forum!

What's the usual reason for getting a 6" HF DD? Are you looking for small gold?

Longhair,

You know way better than me what any of the reasons for any coil are. I guess for me it is the yearly trips to Colorado gold streams and mine sites. And around here helping in the trashy areas like parks, play grounds and faigrounds etc.

Thanks for all your great posts.

It would be the coil for the job all right.

As for which package to buy...
I think that I'd buy it with the 5x10" eliptical HF, and then find someone to trade it off to even up for a 10.5" 7.5kHz DD, or sell it to finance one. The stock 9" MF CC is a good coil, but also much easier and cheaper to obtain later if you ever feel the need.

My preferred coils for the high San Juans in SW Colorado is the 10.5" MF DD and the 6" HF DD. When the area is not too trashy, I'm using the MF to hunt the camping areas, old fire rings, old cabin sites and mining trails . The 6" HF I use for trashy areas, tailing piles, and actually in the streams (just off the stream edge) up to maybe 12" deep water. Although I have not found any gold in quartz, I have dug many interesting targets and I know that my setup covers my situations very well. Haven't bothered to use the standard CC in several years in Colorado for obvious reasons and since I don't know what the soils are like in Arkansas, I can only say I believe my setup would also work well in the Ozarks.

I have thought about getting a bigger Coiltek to improve depth (relative to the 10.5" DD)...but I've decided I just don't want to dig as deep as they might go! Last summer, I dug a mercury dime at approx 8" when using the 10.5" MF DD so guess I'll do this summer what I did last summer, and will probably do it again next summer.

Parkgt. I am in Arkansas and have a 705. If you would PM me with your phone number I will call and try to help anyway I can.

Jim