Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Second full outing with the 1270.

Hey all, finally got out again to one of my usual spots. Dug the usual pull tabs and assorted junk but did manage to get a few coins. I got a 1929 wheatie at 3 inches and a 1930 wheatie at 7 inches. Both from a spot that has been pounded by a ton of machines. An e-trac, a whites v3i, and a Garrett at pro, etc. Heading back again this afternoon most likely. I'll try to remember my camera this time.

Try searching in Max Iron mode for your Primary mode and set your Disc where you like it, max SEN Silen. off and A/M off., get a signal swap to disc to check, 1270 doesn't loose depth with high SEN or Disc., if you don't care about nickel or gold , and looking for deep older coins and silver coins jack it up so you get "Copper pennies not Zinc "Stinken Linclons" pennies, and you'll pull in Clad , Silver, Large Cents and Wheaties and Indian heads, You could use A/M's for you primary also but if there is some trash you'll have to check every signal, thats a good setup for the water hunting.

Today I ran in primary mode 5 and iron mode max. A few times I would get a good signal in primary and check it in iron mode max and still dug a few average size nails. Hits coins deeper than pretty much every machine I've ever owned though. Around here a 6 inch coin will almost always sound really deep, but with the 1270 at half volume they sound like man hole covers. Disc could be a little better but far and away the best beep and dig I've ever used. A billion times better than the Vaquero I had.

What is primary mode 5, is that Primary mode Disc setting 5 which would be nickels?

Normal disc mode 5 I meant to say. Iron disc at or around max to try and hear any difference in the tone. Still learning it obviously but having fun.

Hi,
You are defeating the process of elimination.
Try running in iron mode as primary and normal disc as secondary.
This way, if you get a signal you pull the trigger.
If the signal is no longer there you know for sure that it was diced out at your chosen setting so it was something you did not want to dig.
At least, that

I did it the way that I did it to see if there was any deviation of tone when switched to iron disc. Maybe I'm wrong?

I was under the assumption that the iron disc mode acted somewhat like the iron audio feature on the Garrett At Pro. Giving you some audio clue on if the target may be iron or not.

Hi,
Nope.
The signal (beep tone) does not change if/when it is activated by ferrous or non-ferrous metals.
This is why the 1270 is called a beep and dig detector.
Your only way to see (actually more guesstimate) what triggers the signal is by way of discrimination.
So hunting in disc as primary mode and on beeping switching to iron mode makes absolutely no sense at all.
hh
skookum

Gotchya, I hunted with it today, primary-iron disc max, secondary normal disc at about 5 1/4. Didn't find any coins today but did find a few things. Suppose to go hunt a house tomorrow with my club mate. He's pounded it hard with a DFX and an e-trac so we'll see if I can sniff anything out.

I will try to explain the normal disc compared to the iron disc that may make it a little more understandable.

Now I will say up front I can

I agree Ron. I'll probably just stick with normal disc for now. I noticed that even with iron disc maxed in still getting good repeatable signals on old square nails. Hell even using normal disc of 5 1/4 nails still come in pretty good. I am really liking that elliptical coil now. I wouldn't trade it for anything. Out of the 3 I use the stock 8" the least.

Pinpointing runs kind of wide I've noticed. A lot of times I almost skipped signals because I though it was a shallow can or something that turned out to be coins. All in all though I like the1270 a good bit.

I know I am talking to a old hand at detecting, but just in case. You can detune over the target with toggle in pinpoint mode and your target will be near the center of the coil.
In disc you can just short swing like a couple of inches and back up until you start to lose the double beep and PP off the toe of the coil. PPing in disc mode is real handy if you get some junk target near your good target and the AM PP mode pulls you off the good target. You can do the same off the heal if that works better for you.

Just a reminder of a couple of tricks.

I will be watching for that first report of deep silver.

Ron in WV

Thanks Ron, used that tactic today while pinpointing and it worked great. Finding coins, still no silver but it will come.

Raise the coil when PPing if you get a loud wide response, also Ron doesn't really do old foundation, but if you do old areas and cellar hole and foundations primary: Iron Disc is the way to go, you'll pull up IH's and nickels and good brass and copper masked by Iron. Big Hob-nails are hard to get rid of even with my F-75.

Shooter, I don't really do old cellar holes or foundations as we really don't have those around here. Our town wasn't even founded until 1887 so it's pretty new around here compared to other places. I do however detect some areas with a lot of iron trash. I'll keep at it, trying different modes and such.

When running in the iron disc mode it is supposed to have some ability to see through iron and pick up good non-ferrous metal. I can see where it may help if running in around a lot of iron, but I don't see much need to toggle back to normal disc because chances are the target will disappear. So for me it was kind of like run one or the other and not do a lot switching.

Now one thing I liked to do was work an area in normal disc and then change directions and go over it again in iron disc and of course work it nice and slow.

But I must say I got most of start up training from shooter, he is the man when it comes to the 1270.

Ron in WV

If your town was started in 1887 you have old foundations and cellar holes you do know about but there ,there, your missing out on some real old coins, before I stated foundations I never got a L/C, now I have 3/4's of a complete I/H penny book about 20 L/C, 1 silver 3 cent piece 2-1 silver Reale pieces numerous solid silver spoons plus a ton of other stuff most found with the 1270 & 1265X. Your missing a lot. start using old maps of the areas around you I have been detecting for over 35 years and I'm still finding places within 20 miles of my house where and old 100 to 150 years old house or school or church was and there is no hole of foundation there, here's a perfect site to try it out and you can overlay present day streets to it, use the TOPO maps. Historic Aerials.com Ron you and your brother should try these maps. And thanks for your KUDO's. Now don't get me wrong I still do the hell out of parks, schools and newer places, but a lot of the older coins I would have never found a the newer ball fields. Food for thought. Yesterday find were 2 items, 1 1905 I/H penny, and US Army Branch Insignia for Armor what made it special was it had a WWI tank on it instead of the normal tank, i did 40 yrs in the mil. and never even one, we had a military show a guy had the same one for sale for $60.00 buck and said it was a rare insignia.