Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Second Impressions

DrJoeprime

Finally got a decent 2 hour hunt under my belt.

I picked an area of wet sand beach where I previously got 3 deep gold rings and a buddy got 1 (with the White's dual Field). I picked targets deeper than 12" to dig. One thing I notice is that I'm much slower on a per target basis and for me...ignoring the shallower targets is hard. My Dual Field actually cleaned out that area 4 or 5 days ago so it was a surprise how many new deep targets I was getting. As far as results...not great. a quarter, couple nickles, one a 1947, a few pennies, and a junk jewelery item. Trash consisted of iron bits, fish hooks, a spark plug, a few deep pull tabs.

I'm not sure what that will do to my normal detecting routine. My first thought is to detect an area first with the Dual Field and then return with the ATX. Detecting with the ATX is just too slow for me. It's really too good (too deep) for most parts of the beaches I am familiar with.

I am hoping with time and experience I'll be able to understand the subtleties of the machine. And perhaps therein lies some of my frustration....need some patience.

Joe (California)

All good things improve with time. It is not an easy task to learn a new detector, I know the ATX has slowed my swing and increased my time spent digging.
The rewards have been worth it.

That's key Joe ( patience )

Keep up the good work, Persistence and patience :)

Paul (Ca)

Yeah, I know what you mean Joe, the ATX has slowed down my detecting considerably because of it being a heavy, slow swinging, lumbering machine. I have been thinking about getting an additional machine, one that goes deeper than my AT Pro, but will work better in the wet sand and saltwater, so I'm looking at several multi-frequency machines.

The ATX will get the deep stuff in the wet sand and saltwater, no question about that, but that could be good or bad depending on how much you like or if you can scoop deep in wet sand. Most of my jewelry and coins have been less than 14" in the wet sand and saltwater. I did get one gold ring scooping deep in the wet sand, but I had to scoop lots of deep lead sinkers and iron before I found it, which is a lot of work and no fun. At this time and based on the locations I have used the ATX, I'm not sure if the reward is worth the effort scooping over 16" in the wet sand or saltwater. I tend to believe most if not all coins and jewelry are less than 16" on the beaches that I have used it.

On the beaches that I have used the ATX so far, I have found hearing those faint signals (1-2 LED's on the Signal Strength Indicator), if you have to scoop over 16", the target is larger/denser than a ring or coin. I also found once you dig over 16" in wet sand, the sand starts caving in faster than you can scoop, so I have quit killing myself trying to dig the deep targets. And if I do go for the deep targets in the 18"+ range, it is most likely a 1-4 oz. sinker or an iron object.

I purchased the ATX for it's power and sensitivity, so I refuse to dummy down the machine. I use only enough ground balance to run quiet and stable with the sensitivity at 12, and no discrimination. I would rather hear all targets, even if I don't scoop the deepest targets.

I really like the power and sensitivity of the ATX on shallower items. It will sound off on targets less than 8" deep way before you get you coil over the target, so no need to over lap your coil swings for shallower targets. Most recent drops in the dry sand or at the edge of dry/wet sand are usually less than 8". The ATX is so sensitive, I can't even get my scoop within 3.5 or 4 feet of the coil without the ATX sounding off. I have to hold the scoop either over my shoulder or behind my back while scanning. I also need to swing the coil way to the side of me to keep the ATX from sounding while scooping.

I said this before and I will say it again. Which ever detector manufacture finally makes a water machine that is as powerful and sensitive as the ATX, but makes it with high tech light weight materials, a streamline design, with the heavier components strapped to you side, will have a Home Run!

Someone said this detector is heavy ,but you all have too remember this detector was built for the military for detecting MINES. Now we have a chance to play with what saved are troops from death. So the next time you think it's to heavy ,think of how many troop life's this detector has saved .And be proud of the wight .!!!!!!!!!

junklord3139 said:
Someone said this detector is heavy ,but you all have too remember this detector was built for the military for detecting MINES. Now we have a chance to play with what saved are troops from death. So the next time you think it's to heavy ,think of how many troop life's this detector has saved .And be proud of the wight .!!!!!!!!!

Hi Ron,

We been there, done that with the military thing in this ATX forum. If you look at page 2 of the ATX forum, you will see my post from several months ago "My Three Complaints with the ATX" that had 49 posts & 5600 views. Below was my comment on the military thing.

"I know it is what it is ... and it's a Recon, built like a tank, weighs like a tank, and was made for the same outfit that pays $100 for a hammer which could be bought in a hardware store for $2.98, $600 toilet seat, and $3000 coffee maker. Government specs are a joke, early versions of unarmored Humvees used in the Iraq war that killed and wounded hundreds are proof of that. Government specs are more politics then practical equipment."