Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Second Seated in a week with Racer in iron :cheers:

Monte said:
bubbadirect said:
I'm headed out the door for some detecting as soon as I finish tying my boots, and I'll do more coil switching and comparisons [size=small](since I have the small 4.7X5.2 on my pre-production Racer and the 5½X10 DD on my new production Racer)[/size] and I'll even use the stock coils on both models, side-by-side with comparable settings.

I'll get back on here later today after some side-by-side comparisons, using the stock 7X11 DD coils as well as accessory coils, of how my Pre-Production and new Production Racer's compare in the 3-Tone motion Disc. mode. Maybe there is a difference I haven't observed yet, but so far they both work similarly and both work quite well. :thumbup:

Monte .

I can't wait to hear how/what the differences are you found out today MONTE!

bubbadirect said:
Hey Keith, was it you or someone else that said in 2 tone, if it BEEPS and does not a visual TID, then it is trash?
I am not positive who said the specific one you mention, but I have read on forums or PM's or e-mails, or heard in phone conversations, the following:

"If you get an audio response [size=small](aka 'beep')[/size] and there's no visual TID, then the target is trash."

I have also heard"

"If you get a one-direction signal and not a two-way signal, the target is trash"

Using the FORS Coin & Relic and Racer, with all search coils they have, I've encountered good targets that gave two-way and one-way signals. The causes for one-way signals is often due to a target's shape, position, sometimes its depth, but perhaps more often by nearby targets [size=small](often already discriminated)[/size] that mask them from good, clean two-way responses. I have also found good targets, in both 2-Tone and 3-Tone Discriminate modes, that produced good audio responses, but didn't produce a visual Target ID all the time. That was usually on the deeper-located targets, either mode..

bubbadirect said:
OR COULD IT BE a deep/deeper target? If it's a deeper target, I wonder if you can "hear" the difference in ferrous vs non ferrous?

Do you know?
Yes, sometimes you can hear an audio difference. I usually hear the deeper targets better in the 3-Tone mode more often than I do in the 2-Tone mode, but I do hear them in 2-Tone as well. I generally search older and very trashy places where using the 2-Tone VCO audio can be more of a challenge. Incidental targets I find easier to distinguish in 2-Tone mode when the iron debris is not surface or too close to the search coil.

The rapidly peaking VCO audio, even on some iron junk that is surface or shallow, can be a little more difficult to audibly identify for some, especially if it is odd-angled. Generally I can use either 2-Tone or 3-Tone models and hear differences between most ferrous and non-ferrous targets. However, as I have explained in other posts, ferrous objects can be more challenging if man has shaped hem into a form that enhances their conductivity and can produce more non-ferrous sounding responses. Deeper targets can sometimes be more difficult to 'classify' as ferrous using proven techniques, but it's a l matter of learning the detector and coil combo.

bubbadirect said:
P.s. I agree TOTALLY with you. Why would makro amp up the sensitivity on the production racer, when the preproduction units tasked about by you, Monte, and a few others WERE AWESOME?
The pre-production Racer Pro Packs that Keith, I and other received worked fine with the 3-Tone mode, in my opinion. I didn't think they needed to be increased so perform more like the 2-Tone mode. It is better, I feel, to have the two different modes to choose from and have the performance they provided as designed.

That said, I am not a bought-out promoter of any brand of detector. I like the makes and models I choose to use because they work well for me and the types of sites I hunt. I believe Keith bought his FORS CoRe but mine was provided me by Nokta and I evaluated it and determined that it had the comfort, features, and function that rewarded me with very impressive performance for the types of hunting and site environments that I like to seek out. It bumped models I have relied on for quite a while to become a regular-care, main-use detector.

I know I hoped to have a Racer to evaluate, and I am sure the others did as well, and I think we were ALL surprised to receive the packages from Makro Detectors with the Racer Pro Pack and other accessories. Not only did the Racer impress me by having similar search modes and adjustment features as the FORS CoRe, it delighted me even more with the excellent build quality I came to expect, the display and feature set, and even more with the in-the-field performance. It and the FORS CoRe became my Primary Use detectors, but not only because they were given to me for evaluation.

I was so impressed and satisfied that I purchased my own 3rd Production Racer and have two Racers and one FORS on my back seat as my choice for full-time, primary-use for all my detecting needs now. I also have the Makro Pointer to support them, but the one last detecting tool out there today that I want to get in the new Nokta Pointer.

Like others, I saw the ad from Kellyco about a Nokta Impact. I likes some of what it might have, if it is the Iron Audio Volume control, but I wasn't impressed with the way Kellyco posted about it. I do know that if there is a Nokta Impact in the near future, I want to have one. It'd won't replace the models I now rely on, but will become one more part of the team of detectors I use. There is a reason I have two Racers and would want to still add an Impact, but I mention that questionable unit here for one good reason.

That reason is because it looks like it shares the same Racer package, just a different color. If it has a couple of added functions, that's fine, but I hope it uses the same operating Frequency and shares the same search coils of the Racer, and I also hope the different search modes have the same/similar power and performance as my Pre-Production Racer and my new Production Racer because I haven't noticed any difference in the 3-Tone mode between them, and they both work excellent and are very satisfactory, in my opinion, just as they are. No need to up the performance. If I want different performance from 3-Tone I just key over to 2-Tone and hunt away.

Just my thoughts.

Monte

Monte said:
Using the FORS Coin & Relic and Racer, with all search coils they have, I've encountered good targets that gave two-way and one-way signals. The causes for one-way signals is often due to a target's shape, position, sometimes its depth, but perhaps more often by nearby targets [size=small](often already discriminated)[/size] that mask them from good, clean two-way responses. I have also found good targets, in both 2-Tone and 3-Tone Discriminate modes, that produced good audio responses, but didn't produce a visual Target ID all the time. That was usually on the deeper-located targets, either mode..

MONTE, once again you are just an amazing wealth of knowledge sharing your experiences. Thank you very much!

I'm trading the fiance out this weekend to do some relic hunting at our spots, and she enjoys going with me. What a great woman!

So I'm thinking I should get her a RACER as a wedding gift (backup unit for me maybe too, lol?)

But I'm hoping to find some goodies using the knowledge you have shared. I'll probably just stick with the stock coil for most of the hunt. And I understand now why the cow pasture AND the uneven old soybean field gave me alot more chatter than the grassy hills. The small coil would take me forever in these large multi acre fields, pastures, hills, etc.

Maybe the larger coil might get a little more depth? But target separation wouldn't be as TIGHT/GOOD, as the stock coil, I'm sure. But it would be able to cover more ground, albeit at a price...where the CoRe SHINES...SEPARATION

Also, you've got MY CURIOSITY WAY UP NOW, wanting to try Di3 instead of Di2. Just got the TONE DIFFERENCES ALONE :twodetecting: #AND# IF I GET a solid, reliable sounding signal, with or without a TID, well, then I should investigate. As it may just be deep :clapping:

Bubba

Keith, don't you have a pre and a post unit on the way? If so, can you compare the two and post the results?

Tom in SC

No was not be Bubba...

If it beeps wiht no visual I.D. it just means the Visual I.D. is not yet in range..

the two tone is deeper than the visual...so if its a good high tone with no I.d very possibly could be a goodie!!

the deeper the older we hope..

now the 3 tone is in league with the tone..if it beeps it I.D's.. at least on my pre production unit...not sure on the final 3 tone model..

Tmanly...

Yes I have a Production model on the way .. be here Sat.

I will give my thoughts on the changes if I see anything worth mentioning..

Or Knowing me I will say somthing either way LOL!!

Keith

Thank you Keith! That makes sense about beeping with out a visual ID possibly being a "goodie" !

bubbadirect said:
MONTE, once again you are just an amazing wealth of knowledge sharing your experiences. Thank you very much!
I'm not sure about 'amazing' but I do hope I can sometimes be helpful.

bubbadirect said:
I'm trading the fiance out this weekend to do some relic hunting at our spots, and she enjoys going with me. What a great woman!
Now, I might be wrong but I believe 'trading' the fiancée maybe ought to have been 'taking' and I hope she doesn't read this post. :rofl:

bubbadirect said:
So I'm thinking I should get her a RACER as a wedding gift (backup unit for me maybe too, lol?)
With a slip-up like the above, a Racer might be a back-up 'only.' Seriously, if she enjoys going out detecting with you, I think it would be good to get her a Racer.

bubbadirect said:
But I'm hoping to find some goodies using the knowledge you have shared. I'll probably just stick with the stock coil for most of the hunt. And I understand now why the cow pasture AND the uneven old soybean field gave me alot more chatter than the grassy hills. The small coil would take me forever in these large multi acre fields, pastures, hills, etc.

Maybe the larger coil might get a little more depth? But target separation wouldn't be as TIGHT/GOOD, as the stock coil, I'm sure. But it would be able to cover more ground, albeit at a price...where the CoRe SHINES...SEPARATION
The fields might be large, but I encourage you to not be too quick at covering the site. It's best to use a good methodical sweep coverage, making sure you overlap, and investigate even the 'iffy' responses.

bubbadirect said:
Also, you've got MY CURIOSITY WAY UP NOW, wanting to try Di3 instead of Di2. Just got the TONE DIFFERENCES ALONE :twodetecting: #AND# IF I GET a solid, reliable sounding signal, with or without a TID, well, then I should investigate. As it may just be deep :clapping:
The Racer gives us the options of search modes, and quick changes from one to the other, should we want to double-check a target we encounter. When I am working a more open area with few targets well spaced, I often opt for the 2-Tone, VCO enhanced mode and leave the ID Filter at the default setting of '10.' When working trashier sites with more frequently encountered targets, I like the 3-Tone mode and I run with an ID Filter setting of '23' which is enough to just barely reject more Iron Nails.

Just be sure to Ground Balance and monitor any changes needed for ground mineral conditions. Report back on the results of your outing.

Monte

Pre-Production and Post-Production Racer.

I have worked all the different coils I have on each of them.

So far, the only thing I have noticed that is different between them is the change they made in the Tone selection. Personally, I prefer the staggered way they did the Pre-Production model to the progressive arrangement of the Production versions. I haven't noticed and discernible difference between them in any search mode, to include the 3-Tone function. They both work similarly and do well. I like the way each mode performs just as these two are.

Monte

OHMYGOSH MONTE, you are right. Holey moley! I can't be "trading her out" this weekend to relic hunt! LOL. She's too busy to be looking at my posts on this site, WHEW!

Thank you for the insight too on your settings. I have them to memory now after the past few months. Good stuff!

I'm thinking of trying the Di3 this time with the sensitivity as high as I can. But I do remember posting last week I think, that a 99 SENS isn't as TIGHT/GOOD sounding as say an 80-89. I think I read where the increase in depth comes in at 40, 70, 90? I'm not sure if I read that somewhere or just was dreaming it in my sleep.

...BUT...one thing I WILL BE DOING, is watching for those solid signals WITHOUT A TID READOUT and see what they come up out of the ground as

Bubba

Monte said:
Pre-Production and Post-Production Racer.

I have worked all the different coils I have on each of them.

So far, the only thing I have noticed that is different between them is the change they made in the Tone selection. Personally, I prefer the staggered way they did the Pre-Production model to the progressive arrangement of the Production versions. I haven't noticed and discernible difference between them in any search mode, to include the 3-Tone function. They both work similarly and do well. I like the way each mode performs just as these two are.

Monte

Thanks Monte. I always wonder. I received a Pre-production unit once and the unit was perfect for me. There were some other issues and it was requested that I return it. The final unit was not anywhere near as hot as the first unit.
Great info.

Tom in SC